Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Getting 1388 starter to floc with ice bath??
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013, 07:31 AM   #1
beerbeerbeer123
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 331
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Getting 1388 starter to floc with ice bath??

I have this 1388 starter and it does not like to flocculate 100%, and i would hate to decant good yeast to collect my slurry..Anybody ever cold crash a yeast starter in a ice bath to help with low flocculent strains or is it too cold and will harm the yeast?

__________________
beerbeerbeer123 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
highgravitybacon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 897
Liked 204 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Default

Put it in the fridge for overnight. Dump most of the liquid the next day. No concern for >32F.

__________________
highgravitybacon is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 09:09 PM   #3
beerbeerbeer123
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 331
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by highgravitybacon View Post
Put it in the fridge for overnight. Dump most of the liquid the next day. No concern for >32F.
i put it in the fridge overnight still not flocculating..Alot of good yeast still in suspension..So are you saying an Ice bath will not have ill effects on the yeast?
__________________
beerbeerbeer123 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 11:02 PM   #4
highgravitybacon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 897
Liked 204 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeerbeer123 View Post

i put it in the fridge overnight still not flocculating..Alot of good yeast still in suspension..So are you saying an Ice bath will not have ill effects on the yeast?
How would an ice bath have any different outcomes than a fridge?
__________________
highgravitybacon is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 11:10 PM   #5
beerbeerbeer123
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 331
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by highgravitybacon View Post
How would an ice bath have any different outcomes than a fridge?
I was thinking cause its much colder.. i dont know if the outcome would be different..You dont thing it will make a difference??..Should i just let go a few more days in the fridge?
__________________
beerbeerbeer123 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 01:10 AM   #6
highgravitybacon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 897
Liked 204 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeerbeer123 View Post

I was thinking cause its much colder.. i dont know if the outcome would be different..You dont thing it will make a difference??..Should i just let go a few more days in the fridge?
Unless your fridge is cold to the point if being unsafe(>41f), it wont be that much colder.

If its 5 gallons of wort and a 1L or less starter, just dump the whole thing. Otherwise, what you proposed will work-- wait a day or two, decant, and pour.
__________________
highgravitybacon is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 12:54 AM   #7
beerbeerbeer123
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 331
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by highgravitybacon View Post
Unless your fridge is cold to the point if being unsafe(>41f), it wont be that much colder.

If its 5 gallons of wort and a 1L or less starter, just dump the whole thing. Otherwise, what you proposed will work-- wait a day or two, decant, and pour.
So i let it crash for 48 hours ..some yeast flocculated some stayed solution..So just decanted in clean/sterilized mason jars and put in the fridge burping every so often even though it does not seem to be off gassing..Brought the remaining yeast starter slurry up to room temp and added 1.5 more liters for step 2 of the starter..there is a small ammount of yeast collecting in the jars..Im gonna use them when i bottle..How should i go about stepping up this small ammount of yeast? Is half a liter good enough for bottling?
__________________
beerbeerbeer123 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WLP001 won't floc out (pic) AgingHopster Fermentation & Yeast 9 02-21-2013 03:54 PM
My Belgian Strong Ale (Wyeast 1388) yeast starter steelerguy General Techniques 7 02-03-2013 01:59 AM
wyeast1056 floc question. beanis Fermentation & Yeast 2 12-27-2012 10:13 AM
Low floc'ing yeast damdaman Fermentation & Yeast 2 03-06-2010 01:37 AM
Whirl Floc Timing realestatecat Recipes/Ingredients 8 03-09-2009 04:30 PM