Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > German Ale/Kolsch yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2011, 05:22 PM   #1
bschot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default German Ale/Kolsch yeast

I'm planning on using White Labs German Ale/Kolsch yeast to make a light beer for a weekend long drinking fest at a buddies house. My question is that in the description of the yeast, it produces slight sulfur during fermentation and dissipates with time. The question is how long does it need to age? I plan on fermenting 7-10 days in primary and moving to secondary for 14 days and kegging.

Next question, I am planning on making 10 gallons of said beer, My plan is to make a large starter and pitch half of the starter into each fermenter. Question is how big should the starter be and would one tube of yeast be sufficient to make a large starter. I've played with Mr. Malty and it says to use 2 tubes of yeast, although I'm not sure what I'm doing with the app.

I had thought of making a single smaller starter and then pitching it into two separate starters and then pitch each individually into each batch. Or simply just divide a single large starter into each fermenter?

And finally the best by date is June 12 or something like that, I'm planning on brewing in the next week or so. Is the yeast okay? I know the answer probably is "make a starter and find out" or "if your that worried buy another tube." It's one of those things you know the answer to but would like to hear what others think.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
smakudwn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I kept my Kolsh in the fermenter for 3 weeks and I had no sulfur in the resulting beer.

What is the OG of the beer?

Old 06-01-2011, 05:46 PM   #3
Mad_Milo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Most Kolsch yeast are slow to clear, even with a lager period. If you don't mind a cloudy beer in 3-4 weeks, then go for it. However it is usually a much clearer and cleaner beer after 6-8 weeks. You may want to consider another, faster flocculating yeast if you pinched for time.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:58 PM   #4
bschot
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Estimated O.G. is 1.042.

I'm not pinched for time, don't really want to wait 6-8 weeks either. What yeast would you suggest? Also I'm not planning on lagering, don't have the equipment.

Thanks again.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
smakudwn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 8

If you want something clear in 3 weeks I would suggest s05,1056 or wlp001.

I got a Blonde that I did with a Kolsch yeast in the keg for 2 weeks and its still cloudy.

If you do use a Kolsch yeast if you are using a simple starter, you would need a 4L starter for a 10 gal batch of 1.042 ale.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
Mad_Milo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

You can make a pretty clean beer with WY1056 or WY1099 or it's equivalent. 1099 may taste a bit more fruity, but is a fast bugger. Really depends on what you are looking for.

Another option would be to make an american wheat and embrace the cloudiness

You could always "lager" in the keg for a couple weeks to cold crash the yeast, and jump the beer to serving kegs for the trip.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #7
bschot
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm looking for a fairly clean clean yeast in as short a time as possible, I hadn't thought of cold crashing in the fridge, sounds like a good idea.

I know what I'm about to say may be blasphemy but I'm trying to create a better Bud Light Lime (gasp!!!) I know that trying to create something as clean tasting as Bud Light is close to the impossible zip code, so I'll settle for something better.

I like the idea of using WY 1056 especially when fermented cooler it has citrus notes, but the problem is I already have the German Ale/Kolsch yeast. Although I'll probably jump on the American Ale yeast grenade and chock up the German Ale/Kolsch yeast purchase as a learning experience, its close to its best by date.

Additionally, I planning on brewing a Belgian Wit to bring along for the few who like beer with a little more flavor.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:58 PM   #8
Mad_Milo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Put the Kolsch yeast in the fridge and brew a proper Kolschy with it soon. It's a great beer for summer. If you brew in the next couple weeks, it can be ready for the dog days of summer.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:00 PM   #9
bschot
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sounds good, point me in the right direction toward a good recipe?

Old 06-01-2011, 08:04 PM   #10
charliec
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If your looking for a BMC type beer try this one: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/crea...eam-ale-66503/
Simple cheap and you can use a dry yeast too.

Primary 1: Crystal Springs Kolsh
Primary 2: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: Stone Ruination Clone : Cream of Three crops
On deck: Crystal Springs "Sticke" Alt

Quick Reply