Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Furious clone - Secondary fermenter question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #11
Adaman05
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I understand the yeast should be cleared up but I was worried about racking around the 8.5 oz of hops. Will they be sunk after ten days?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 07:58 PM   #12
Adaman05
Recipes 

Bump!

Old 12-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #13
solbes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 68

I was under the impression you were using a fine "hop bag" (recommended) or at least the muslin bags which won't do as good of job. Are the dry hops pellets or whole leaf? If whole leaf the muslin bags will work fine. If pellet, only the fine mesh bag will work to contain.

If you don't use a bag, just watch your racking. Try to keep below the surface hops and above the submerged ones. No big deal there. You will lose some beer to hop absorption which is going to be case with 8.5 oz of dry hop regardless of approach.

Primary #1: Empty #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Black Currant Wine #3:Border Crossing Vienna
Kegged
: Orange Pale Ale IV, Hidden Lake Nut Brown
Bottles
: 2H IPA III, Carmel Apple Cider, Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Ice Shanty Bock

Old 12-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #14
Adaman05
Recipes 

Thanks. I was going to use a hop bag when I was planning on dry hopping in a bucket, but I was told there was too much head space. So I decided to switch to a glass carboy for secondary, and I can't imagine dry hopping with 8.5 oz in a couple of bags and getting them out. That's why I was asking about a cold crash. Looks like I'll just have to be careful with racking! Thanks!

Old 12-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #15
Adaman05
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbes View Post
I was under the impression you were using a fine "hop bag" (recommended) or at least the muslin bags which won't do as good of job. Are the dry hops pellets or whole leaf? If whole leaf the muslin bags will work fine. If pellet, only the fine mesh bag will work to contain.

If you don't use a bag, just watch your racking. Try to keep below the surface hops and above the submerged ones. No big deal there. You will lose some beer to hop absorption which is going to be case with 8.5 oz of dry hop regardless of approach.
Oh, and pellet hops.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #16
solbes
Recipes 

Good luck, let us know how it turns out. I might order this kit (or the one from Midwest) within the next week. I love me some Surly!

Secondary #1
Kegged
Bottles
: 2H IPA III, Carmel Apple Cider, Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Ice Shanty Bock

Old 12-11-2012, 08:01 PM   #17
Adaman05
Recipes 

I made the Midwest ferocious kit and it tasted great... But not the same as Furious.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:09 PM   #18
Adaman05
Recipes 

Bottled today. It tastes amazing! Actually tastes just like Furious, without the carbonation. Looks a bit darker than the real thing, but that's not a big deal. Ended up throwing the hops right in the secondary instead of using a bag. 99% of the hops were on the bottom when I racked into the bottling bucket, so that turned out to be pretty easy. I ended up losing a lot of liquid due to hop aborption. Only ended up with 21 bottles (22 oz), which ends up being about 3.6 gallons. Due to the lower yield, we primed with 2/3 cup dextrose instead of the standard (3/4 cup or 5 oz). We couldn't find his scale to weigh it. Hopefully the carbonation turns out okay... Does anybody think I'll end up with bottle bombs using 2/3 cup dextrose with only about 3.6 gallons of beer? Should I move to a cooler temperature to slow down carbonation?

Old 12-24-2012, 12:53 AM   #19
solbes
Recipes 

No bottle bombs. I sometimes use a heaping cup for wheat beers for 5 gallons.

Moving to cooler location would not help anyway unless you were going to stop it in sub 50 temps at some point.

Secondary #1
Kegged
Bottles

Old 12-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #20
Adaman05
Recipes 

Awesome, glad to hear I won't get bombs. Looks like I'll just keep them where they're at for a few weeks. It's going to be hard to resist the urge to try one prematurely! My buddy and I were so encouraged after sampling this last time that we're getting together on Saturday to brew another batch. Next up is Fullers London Porter clone!

Quick Reply