Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Fruity smell in primary fermentation (Fix)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2012, 05:30 AM   #1
Bearsjv
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fruity smell in primary fermentation (Fix)

Hello all! I am currently brewing a custom Big-Oktoberfest and I was 24hrs into primary fermentation, when I noticed aggressive waterlock activity with fruity aromas. I know that when a beer starts smelling fruity it possibly is infected or off, so i took temperature readings and noticed that it was in the eighty's, so I crashed it in a low tech but surprisingly stable way i.e I filled a spare bathtub with cold water and submerged my fermenter half way and left it alone for about six hours; when I returned to take another temp reading i noticed that it had crashed from eighty plus to sixty-four F. The waterlock activity has slowed to about a bubble every five-mins and the aroma is oh so good!, it now smells like tip-top ale and I'm hoping that I was able to intervene before my yeasties produced too much ester at higher temps. I wanted to share this with all of you to get your input and thoughts in regards to my methods of preventing a tainted brew. Thank you all for reading my post, Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 662 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 393

Most lagers need to be fermented a cooler temperature ranges. My last octoberfest fermented at 52 degrees F. Yours is way too high.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
Bearsjv
Recipes 

Thank you sir!, I should have mentioned it is an ale replica of the true lager and not am actual lager with bottom fermenting yeast rather top fermenting ale yeast. Thank you and sorry for the error in my description.

Quick Reply