Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > fruity, bubblegum aromas from fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012, 03:25 AM   #1
netza
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Location: mexicali, an hour and a half from san diego, baja california, mexico
Likes Given: 1

Default fruity, bubblegum aromas from fermentation

I brewed 10 gallons of a black IPA, I made a 1 lt. yeast starter with two viles (which is what Mr. Malty recommended), but since a ferment in 5 gal. glass carboys I had to split the starter 500/500 between both carboys. Its been 3 days since inoculation, my airlocks are bairly giving off bubbles and Im getting very fruity aromas when I smell them. I am fermenting at 65-67 F°
Did I underpitch? Is this normal or not? Will this fruity, sort of bubblegum/estery aromas eventually go away? And most importantly, should I add more yeast or just let the beer ride it out.
Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 04:02 AM   #2
Brewham
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Fermenting beer makes all kinds of weird odors. Wheat beers smell like rotten eggs and you swear you need to throw it out. Relax, let it do its thing.

I do think you underpitched. I would have used that much or more for 5 gallons. But, it is not a fatal mistake. A black IPA will take a long time to finish so just set it aside for a few months and brew something summery while you are waiting.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:05 AM   #3
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 517

What yeast?

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 05-03-2012, 04:12 AM   #4
chumpsteak
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewham View Post
A black IPA will take a long time to finish so just set it aside for a few months and brew something summery while you are waiting.
What? A few months for a black IPA? Why would it take that long? A couple weeks in primary and 3 more in the keg or bottle and it should be good. A couple more weeks later and it should be great. Why let it sit for a few months in the fermenter?

Old 05-03-2012, 04:35 AM   #5
netza
Recipes 

come to think of it I used Dry English Ale (WL 007), which is a bit more estery and tends to flocculate a lot more... could it be due to this particular yeast strain?

Old 05-03-2012, 04:56 AM   #6
HOPCousin
Recipes 

What was your measured OG? 07 is a great strain I have it working on a beer downstairs right now. I wonder if you need to bring the temp up a few degrees and swirl it a bit. I used one vial on 5 gallons of 8.5% imperial stout and hit the numbers perfectly. It can certainly a bit fruity but that should dissipate once it cleans up after itself and if you don't ferment to high.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:58 AM   #7
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 47

2 vials is too concentrated for a 1L starter, the growth factor will be pretty low. Ideally you want something like 1 vial in 2L....I don't have my yeast book in front of me but you want a concentration of around 50 million cells per ml to get just over 2X growth.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 05-03-2012, 05:18 AM   #8
netza
Recipes 

its good to know about the yeast starter, I was usually making about 1 lt with 1 vial for 5 gallons and the same amount but twice the vials for 10 gallons, which is what I did in this case...
@HOPCousin I had 1.055 OG, Ive been told 007 is very sensitive to temperature changes, I started at 65 and brought it up 67, should I bring it up some more to hit the mark? Just so you know I inoculated probably higher than 65 because of the heat down here its hard to cool the wort that much, brought it down to about 76-78F and I let it sit in the freezer at 60F for about an hour so that probably brought it down a few degrees, maybe around 70, before I inoculated

Quick Reply