Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Frozen yeast...is it dead??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #11
terrapinj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 533

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapinj View Post
there are lots of threads on here discussing it - short answer is it depends - at best it severely impacted the viability but may still be salvagable with a small starter and then step up from there

i had a smack pack of 1450 delivered last week that was accidentally placed in the freezer and I'm planning on doing a small starter to see if any yeast survived
just wanted to follow up

the pack was originally dated July 31, 2012 and was placed in the freezer for about 5-6 hours before I discovered it and placed it in the fridge

i did a 500ml starter on monday and set it on the stir plate for a few days, didn't see signs of activity but I often don't on the stir plate but after shutting the plate off last night it had clearly fermented and grown more yeast.

i added another 2500ml of wort (doing a 1.084 beer) and started the plate up again last night and it was clearly fermenting away this morning with a ring of bubbles on the stir plate

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply