New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Frozen yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #11
TxBrewHouse
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm just going to get more. I froze 3 ten gallon batches worth of yeast. And it was at 0 F. It's solid as a brick. I'm gonna play it safe and get more. I would hate to have 30 gallons just sitting there waiting only to find out they didn't have the yeast in stock.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #12
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1602 View Post
Think about all these tiny swords being created and puncturing the cell walls of the yeast.
Great mental image! My mind is getting all Game of Thrones on some yeast cells right now.

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 10-14-2012, 04:12 PM   #13
tom_gamer
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman_48442
There is certainly some cellular damage, but you may well be able to recover.
It's critical that you make a starter before pitch for a few reasons:
[*]See if you have any viability (see if the starter is active)[*]Rebuild your cell count up to where it should be[*]Beers even under the best conditions benefit from proper pitch rates, which normally means making a starter

With that all said, don't give up. I and many others here have had a brain fart and frozen our yeast, and been able to recover and make a great beer after building a proper starter.
Do this.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:12 PM   #14
lawnboy881
Recipes 

So my wife accidentally did this to my Wyeast Neobrittania. Planned on using it for a Barleywine...(uh-oh). Anyhow, made a starter, used a stir-plate for ~20 hrs. Now chilling in fridge. Seemingly okay, but only real way to know is to pitch it? Keep in mind I live in MS and have no easy access to a replacement product (aside from online shipping rapid method). Thoughts?

Old 10-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #15
TxBrewHouse
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnboy881
So my wife accidentally did this to my Wyeast Neobrittania. Planned on using it for a Barleywine...(uh-oh). Anyhow, made a starter, used a stir-plate for ~20 hrs. Now chilling in fridge. Seemingly okay, but only real way to know is to pitch it? Keep in mind I live in MS and have no easy access to a replacement product (aside from online shipping rapid method). Thoughts?
Let me know how it turns out. If they survived.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #16
badhabit
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I can tell you what White Labs told me when I spoke with them a few years ago when I froze some yeast by accident. The chances that you froze all of the yeast to the point that it all died is highly unlikely. Make a starter, step it up at least once more and you will know if you have viable yeast. Seemed to me like pretty good advice....guess what, everything worked fine and I am still harvesting and washing and using that same yeast...or at least their great great grandchildren.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #17
lawnboy881
Recipes 

So like I said, thawed it, made a starter. Used on stir plate for ~20 hrs, cooled it and pitched it. It looked great, lots of yeast settled out. My barleywine has been churning since Wednesday and is seemingly fine. My OG was 1.082 so I need those fantastic yeasties to work hard!

I'll update when I rack to 2ndary for the gravity reading or if I stall out.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #18
lawnboy881
Recipes 

I racked to 2ndary and gravity was 1.021 on 10/31. Just FYI, make a starter and see what happens!

Old 12-29-2012, 01:09 PM   #19
brewfreeordie
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Dry or liquid yeast? If it's dry I probably wouldn't even think about it, and just pitch it. Liquid I would make a starter, probably step it up.

I wouldn't waste the gas money to buy more yeast, but I'm ALWAYS up for a road trip to the brew store.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:14 AM   #20
gbx
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had a top crop of wy1318 in the fridge that I was going to use this weekend and I noticed it was half frozen. I have a starter cooling right now to see if it does anything but I thought I'd look on HBT to see if anyone else has had luck regrowing a frozen yeast cake. Did the beer made with frozen yeast turn out? Was it the same as you expected (attenuation, flocculataion, malt profile, etc) or did it change?

Quick Reply