Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Frozen Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
WildGingerBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1901 Times on 1880 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Frozen Yeast

My yeast froze!!!!! I have a smack pack of Wyeast Kolsch I was planning on using tomorrow. It's been in my freezer for a week and when I pulled it out to smack it this morning it was frozen. Is it still usable? Can I still smack it once it thaws?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2010, 04:00 PM   #2
Jawbox0
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Make a starter and see what happens. I'd have a backup yeast ready just in case though because I'd have to think there's a really good chance that it's toast.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:14 PM   #3
Scimmia
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Merritt View Post
It's been in my freezer for a week and when I pulled it out to smack it this morning it was frozen.
I've gotta ask, what did you expect it to do in the freezer?

Old 06-19-2010, 04:43 PM   #4
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3083 Times on 1937 Posts
Likes Given: 2617

Quote:
My yeast froze!!!!! I have a smack pack of Wyeast Kolsch I was planning on using tomorrow. It's been in my freezer for a week and when I pulled it out to smack it this morning it was frozen. Is it still usable? Can I still smack it once it thaws?
Of course. That's the beauty of a smack pack.

I'd bet it still bloats (might take a little longer). Let us know how this turns out. Thanks.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:49 PM   #5
WildGingerBrewing

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimmia View Post
I've gotta ask, what did you expect it to do in the freezer?
Well, obviously I wasn't thinking at all I bought it and just threw it in the freezer with the hops without even thinking about it being liquid. I use US-05 more than anything and always just throw it in the freezer. Of course it's usually only in there a day or so before I brew. I bought this last Friday! Oh well, live and learn.

As of now it's thawed and smacked. Hopefully in a few hours it will start to bloat. I figure if it expands, it's still good.

Thanks to everyone!

Old 06-19-2010, 07:58 PM   #6
Scimmia
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
As of now it's thawed and smacked. Hopefully in a few hours it will start to bloat. I figure if it expands, it's still good.
It means that there were some cells still viable. I guarantee that many, if not most, of the cells were killed. If pitching the smack pack alone was underpitching, pitching it now will be doing so pretty severely. To put this in perspective, a properly rehydrated US-05 will have roughly 230 billion cells. The smack pack in perfect condition, fresh from the lab will have roughly 100 billion. How many are left now?

Old 06-20-2010, 07:04 PM   #7
WildGingerBrewing

Recipes 

After giving it some thought, I just went and bought another smack pack. The thawed one didn't seem to be expanding and I didn't want to take any chance. So, never freeze your yeast!!!!!

Old 06-20-2010, 07:19 PM   #8
BadgerBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just put the yeast in your fridge. I store mine in there for weeks/months and they are always fine. I make starters now on my DIY stir plate (awesome build), but even when I didn't I just warmed them up a day before the brew and they were ready to go!

BTW - next time check with me as I usually have bottles of yeast ready to go and only live a short ways away from you

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan

Old 06-20-2010, 07:23 PM   #9
WildGingerBrewing

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerBrewer View Post
Just put the yeast in your fridge. I store mine in there for weeks/months and they are always fine. I make starters now on my DIY stir plate (awesome build), but even when I didn't I just warmed them up a day before the brew and they were ready to go!

BTW - next time check with me as I usually have bottles of yeast ready to go and only live a short ways away from you
Thanks. I appreciate that. I haven't made a starter before but after this experience I think that will be the next thing I learn. So far, the first AG is going well. Just finished the mash and am starting the boil. So we'll see from here.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:47 PM   #10
BadgerBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Good luck! Have to post some pics of your first AG session!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan

Quick Reply