Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Frozen on arrival

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 12:26 AM   #1
floodbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Frozen on arrival

Hey, I just received a fairly big Midwest ingredient/equipment order via FedEx today.. with a daytime high temperature of 15°F, of course. Immediately opened the box to to locate my two Wyeast Activator packs (American and London) and found them in what I would describe as a state of slush. Not rock solid, but not the usual.

To compound my concerns, the American Ale pack looks and feels slightly swollen compared to the London. Now I am wondering the internal pod busted and leaking due to freezing in-transit or if something else altogether. It doesn't appear to be swelling much more.

I have both in the fridge right now and will be reaching out to Midwest in the morning, but does anybody have thoughts on what to do? It's not the end of the world and I can hit my LHBS and get replacement yeast, but that's not the point. I'd prefer not to waste $12.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 01:36 AM   #2
thegame310
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would think you are okay. The American Ale pack is likely swollen due to a C02 leak. I would let them get to normal temperature and keep them in the fridge and make starters with them, and I would say you're a okay.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
patthebrewer
Manasquan River Brewing LLC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Call midwest and ask them what they think. You paid for it, if there is the possibility of it not being viable you'd be out. I'd bet they'd either explain to why it's still okay or they'd stand behind their product and replace them for you.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You could also call Wyeast directly if you need to.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #5
Clanchief
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'm actually worrying about the same thing. I ordered from Northern Brewer, and have my stuff arriving today. Including two smack packs. It's currently 5° here in Chicago, and I think that by the time I get home my yeast may be frozen. I was hoping to make a starter with one of them tonight too...

Old 01-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 78

I would put the packs in room temp water so they can slowly dethaw. Back when I lived at home, I got a delivery and told my mom to put the hops in the freezer and yeast in the fridge...it all went in the freezer. White labs tube of solid frozen yeast. I dethawed it in the manner I describe and made a 2 L starter which I used for a pale ale....came out great! You def will have lost some cells due to bursting, but you should be able to revive enough to ferment

Old 01-24-2013, 06:49 PM   #7
Jonas217
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've had this happen a couple of times. I just thawed them out and made starters for them. They performed just fine. I never noticed anything different about those batches.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #8
floodbrew
Recipes 

Talked to Midwest today. The yeast providers assure them that their product remains viable even after freezing in transit.

Also to note on the puffy American Ale smackpak, I was told that all of them this year have been that way due to excess co2 and that they get hundreds of calls regarding it.

Midwest is pretty solid I must say.

Thanks for all of the responses!

Old 01-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #9
chemman14
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Yeah I have noticed the packs I am getting from my LHBS have been puffier than usual lately

Quick Reply