New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Fridge top as a stir plate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 01:11 AM   #1
Castawayales
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Fridge top as a stir plate

It occurred to me that the top of my fridge (Outside) is almost constantly vibrating and warm. Where would that stand in the stir plate technology?

I am thinking that it would get results better intermittent shaking but less effective than using a stir plate. Maybe split the difference. There isn't a stir bar, but a lot of agitation.

Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2011, 02:52 AM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1196 Times on 789 Posts
Likes Given: 531

Hmm...it depends on how much you mean by vibrating. Your goal is to get the surface liquid to circulate around. If you're getting that, it doesn't need to be a raging vortex or anything. If you can see movement in the liquid, I suspect that would be sufficient.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:55 AM   #3
BelgianKing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I like where you are going with it but the only concern I would be worried about is the air coming out the back would make me nervous with air circulation that may contain dust or unwanted particles that could find its way inside the starter. The book Yeast says to keep it away from any drafts or windows. I keep my starters in a pot with a perferated insert inverted on top for ventilation. Everytime I walk into the kitchen I shake it a bit to keep things moving. This also keeps SWMBO from touching anything

For the record I know nothing about stir plates other than they work great for starters.

Primary:Chicken Livers IPA x10gal
Secondary:
Bottled: Milk Chocolate Stout,Dr. Spock's Bock 001,Dr. Spock's Bock 002

Yeast Bank:1056 3rd Generation

2011 gallons= 61

Quick Reply