New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Fridge temp for fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
MarcusKillion
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Default Fridge temp for fermentation

I bought a fridge to use for fermenting . I am trying to figure out the best temp to set it at for using US05 or Notty . Normally I ferment at room temp of about 68 to 72 . good beer but I think it could be better if lower temp .
I was thinking about temp of 60 to make wort temp about 65 maybe ?

I am going to do an experiment . I have some cream of three crops that i did at room temp of about 68 and I am going to do the next in the fridge and see how the taste differs .

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
501irishred

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusKillion View Post
I bought a fridge to use for fermenting . I am trying to figure out the best temp to set it at for using US05 or Notty . Normally I ferment at room temp of about 68 to 72 . good beer but I think it could be better if lower temp .
I was thinking about temp of 60 to make wort temp about 65 maybe ?

I am going to do an experiment . I have some cream of three crops that i did at room temp of about 68 and I am going to do the next in the fridge and see how the taste differs .
For me about 68 seems to be a sweet spot for 05. Assuming you have an external temp control for your fridge, try attaching the temp probe directly to the carboy of bucket and insulating over the top. This will help keep the internal temp closer to your set point regardless of amount of fermentation activity.

Whiskey's too rough, champagne costs too much, vodka puts my mouth in gear
This little refrain should help me explain as a matter of fact I like beer - Tom T Hall

Old 06-09-2013, 02:15 AM   #3
BigFloyd

Recipes 

Liked 562 Times on 495 Posts
Likes Given: 497

How are you measuring and controlling the temperature in your fermenter fridge? If you haven't already done so, time to take the guess work out of the process by putting together a digital controller box using an STC-1000 (about 20 bucks on Amazon) to go with that fridge. I use three of them and am extremely pleased.

It's a dual temperature controller. You wire it into a standard 2-plug outlet that you mount in some kind of project box (either homemade or bought at Radio Shack). One (cool) outlet is for the freezer/fridge. Into the other (warm) outlet, you plug some kind of small heater and then put that heater inside the freezer.

Set the target temp (in Celsius) on the STC-1000. Set the tolerance (default is +/-0.5*C). When the temp (as read by the sensor) climbs 0.5*C above the target, it powers up the cool outlet and keeps it energized until the temp drops to the target and then turns it off. Likewise with the warm outlet if it gets 0.5*C too cool. You tape the sensor on the side of the fermenter and place some kind of insulation like bubble wrap over top of it so that it reads the bucket temp and not the air.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-fish-tank-controller-build-using-wal-mart-parts-261506/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/

http://brewstands.com/fermentation-heater.html
Old 06-11-2013, 12:21 AM   #4
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Thanks for the info guys.
Wish I would have known about that controller before I spent 80 bucks on a Johnson .
As of now I have not used a controller . It is on the way . My fridge is at about 64 degrees with my centennial and nut brown in it . I actually fermented these beers in 68 to 70 degree room and then put them in the fridge to set for a few weeks . I just bought this fridge last week . got lucky and the guy dropped price from 250 to 80 because he dropped it off the truck during a delivery . just dented the door a some and scuffed it up .

so I take it that a good temp for the beer is 68 and if I attach probe to bucket and set controller at 68 I should get that .

thanks again

Old 06-11-2013, 02:00 AM   #5
BigFloyd

Recipes 

Quote:
so I take it that a good temp for the beer is 68 and if I attach probe to bucket and set controller at 68 I should get that .

thanks again
Definitely keep Nottingham under 68*F (as measured on the fermenter). Any warmer and it tends to throw some off-flavors that get funkier the warmer it gets. That yeast actually does quite well down into the mid-upper 50's. I've fermented with it as low as 55*F and it was very active with a nice clean (lager-like) result.

US-05 seems to like 64-66*F.

Once you get your temp controller set up, it's a very good practice to "ramp up" your fermentations. Pitch and start them toward the lower end of the optimal range for the yeast used, hold it there 5-7 days and then let it come up slowly until it gets to 68*F. Let it finish there. You will like the results.

Another nice thing you can do with what you've bought is to cold crash. After ferment is done, drop the temp to about 35-36*F and keep it there 4-5 days before racking to the bottling bucket. This will really help to clarify your beer and compact the trub/yeast in the bottom of the fermenter.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Controller is off by about 3 degrees I think . Not sure since I have none that are actually correct. It read boiling water about right but I think on lower temps it is wrong .
Should have bought a good thermometer to begin with . I spent about a 90 bucks so far on cheap ones .

Old 06-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #7
501irishred

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Controller is off by about 3 degrees I think . Not sure since I have none that are actually correct. It read boiling water about right but I think on lower temps it is wrong .
Should have bought a good thermometer to begin with . I spent about a 90 bucks so far on cheap ones .
Yep, some lessons it seems we all seem to learn the hard way - that's one of many. As for checking the low temp however, try crushed ice in water. It should be just above 32.

Whiskey's too rough, champagne costs too much, vodka puts my mouth in gear
This little refrain should help me explain as a matter of fact I like beer - Tom T Hall

MarcusKillion Likes This 
Old 06-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #8
RedBeardedBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Here's a thread that explores your question in depth:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/another-us-05-experiment-temperature-fluctuations-403882/

Personally I like to ferment 05 at 65. My temp probe from the regulator sits in a plastic bag with water in it taped right up to the side of the fermenter. Then I insulate with bubble wrap. I want the temperature of the water in the bag to be 62 to 63. I also have an aquarium sticker thermometer on the fermenter to double check my accuracy.

I like that temp control system that BigFolyd posted! I'm gonna have to look into that for my second fermentation chamber.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #9
BigFloyd

Recipes 

Quote:
What sort of controller are we talking about?

Old 06-24-2013, 11:51 PM   #10
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

johnson A419ABG-3C .

I really think I need to buy a good thermometer and check it . I have a wall , a couple digital cooking and a dial cooking and all are a bit different on different temps but for the most part it is close . I just set my fridge to 66 dif 2 and fermenting is going but slow . I suspect that is due to colder than I am used to temps . I usually have it in a room that is 70 - 72 .

edit : I thought about buying a people thermometer to check against the others . i figure that one would be accurate around them temps

Last edited by MarcusKillion; 06-24-2013 at 11:53 PM. Reason: more info

Quick Reply