Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Freezing yeast in mason jars?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2010, 03:23 PM   #1
Hilbert
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Freezing yeast in mason jars?

I saw a couple articles out there that talks about freezing yeast but they all seem to tell you to tranfer the slurry to test tubes before you freeze.

I wash my yeast and store them in small mason jars. The problem I am having is I am running out of room in my small beer fridge. When I bought my last batch of small mason jars on the package I noticed it started that the jars are safe to freeze.

My questions are: Can I freeze my washed yeast in mason jars? Do i need to do anything before I freeze them or can I just stick the jars in the freezer? Same with after I take them out of the freezer?

Thanks

Tap 4: Heffe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2010, 03:31 PM   #2
King of Cascade
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

you cant just put the yeast in the freezer. The mason jars might work but follow this
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/guid...st-bank-35891/

Old 07-13-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
HalfPint
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeast be cheap man. I'd just wash it and then when that either gets too old or you run out (I do b/c I don't like to re-use too much yeast) just buy some more. I know that I really only use about 4 yeasts for all of my brewing, so it's fairly easy.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:41 PM   #4
Scimmia
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

You need some kind of cryoprotectant before you stick them in the freezer. You could use mason jars, but you'd be going through so much glycerol that it wouldn't be worth it.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:50 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3488

I don't know that the mason jars wouldn't break in the freezer, even if you used a ton of glycerine. Shop around, you can find all manner of plastic tubes to use for a frozen yeast bank.

Edmund scientific and american science and surplus should carry some. http://scientificsonline.com/

American science and surplus even has petri dishes. http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm/subsection/4

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-13-2010, 06:16 PM   #6
bja
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts

How many different kinds of yeast do you have? And how many of each?

You could go buy a mini fridge just for yeast. They're cheap.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:56 PM   #7
Hilbert
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i usually wash my yeast into 4 jars and when i get down to the last two I wash that batch.

I tend to save any yeast that I don't have. So depending on the style I'm brewing I have the correct yeast. For example I just brewed a stout so I bought White Labs Irish Ale and I washed that. Well now I have 4 jars of Irish Ale for my stouts, porters, etc. But I may not do another stout for a couple months. So the tend to pile up after a while.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure if it's worth the effort just because I can usually wash the yeast 3 or 4 times and that's at a minimum 12 batchs from one yeast vial. So to go buy a $6.00 vial of yeast every 12 batches doesn't seem to bad. I was more for a space saver than anything.

Tap 4: Heffe

Quick Reply