New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Following Mr. Malty's pitching rates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2012, 11:21 PM   #11
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsaunders
I was wondering that too. I use 6-gal BetterBottles but I've never marked the sides for volume - one more thing I need to do.
5 gal is just below where it starts to taper.

Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #12
alexsaunders
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

@ biochemedic - thanks, that's where I usually fill to - good to know.

I've done dry yeast, just not the selection I'd like and I'm with Qhrumphf - I just can't seem to get the steam up to start a starter the day before (usually because I'm at work or brew day is spontaneous). I certainly hear you on the potential cost benefits however.

Thanks again all.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #13
SpeedYellow
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsaunders View Post
... I'm with Qhrumphf - I just can't seem to get the steam up to start a starter the day before (usually because I'm at work or brew day is spontaneous). ....
Then you're in luck, because you should start a starter 5-7 days before brewing. After it's done fermenting in a few days, just toss in the fridge to cold crash it and await your brew day.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #14
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1131 Times on 829 Posts
Likes Given: 451

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedYellow
Then you're in luck, because you should start a starter 5-7 days before brewing. After it's done fermenting in a few days, just toss in the fridge to cold crash it and await your brew day.
I've heard differing techniques on this. One is to let the starter go through fully, cold crash, decant and pitch only the slurry, the other is to pitch the entire starter volume while its at high krausen. I do the latter.

Up Next: Pale Mild, Coniston Bluebird Bitter clone v1.0
Primary: ESB, Ordinary Bitter, Mild
Secondary: Sour Stout
Bottled: Düsseldorf Altbier, Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone
Bottle "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Imperial Red, Tripel, Quadrupel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 07-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #15
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1131 Times on 829 Posts
Likes Given: 451

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsaunders
@ biochemedic - thanks, that's where I usually fill to - good to know.

I've done dry yeast, just not the selection I'd like and I'm with Qhrumphf - I just can't seem to get the steam up to start a starter the day before (usually because I'm at work or brew day is spontaneous). I certainly hear you on the potential cost benefits however.

Thanks again all.
Making a starter isn't the issue foe me, i almost always make starters. My issue is making a larger pitch out of multiple steps to build a very large cell count from a small initial amount of yeast. I'd rather just make one starter with more packs.

Up Next: Pale Mild, Coniston Bluebird Bitter clone v1.0
Primary: ESB, Ordinary Bitter, Mild
Secondary: Sour Stout
Bottled: Düsseldorf Altbier, Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone
Bottle "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Imperial Red, Tripel, Quadrupel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 07-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #16
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 482 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Make your own stirplate. There are a lot of threads on this site. You should be able to make one for $20 or less. You can make most starters with one vial/pack.

Using a stirplate allows you to make smaller starters and they will be ready faster.

With a stirplate I make a small starter and let it ferment overnight and pitch the whole thing. With a larger one I do it 1 day ahead and chill it and decant the liquid.

Another way to save money is to freeze yeast. I use 20ml vials. 5ml yeast + 5ml Glycerin and 10ml water. I make a starter a little bigger than what I need then use the extra yeast to make 4 vials to freeze. If I made 4 more from each for 4 generations that would make 256 brews from the original vial for only the cost of DME for the starters.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #17
SpeedYellow
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qhrumphf View Post
I've heard differing techniques on this. One is to let the starter go through fully, cold crash, decant and pitch only the slurry, the other is to pitch the entire starter volume while its at high krausen. I do the latter.
Sure, nothing wrong with that. The OP expressed difficulty squeezing in brew time during the week, so I was merely giving him a way to keep the week open.

Quick Reply