Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Foam Explosion! Time to Relax.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2012, 05:49 AM   #1
sburnt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Default Foam Explosion! Time to Relax.

Hi folks. I'm a brand new member to this forum but have been reading here for a while and have been amazed at and grateful for the depth of experience and knowledge here. I have been brewing with varying frequency for quite a few years, but am finally stepping up the game a bit. I mostly did extract + specialty grain kits or extract recipes before, but now I am partial mashing, did my first AG a few weeks back, and am doing yeast starters now also.

In hindsight, I'm kicking myself for not doing more starters all along, but I guess I was tuning out the advice because my beers all tasted great to me.

Anyway, to get the point, I thought I'd just share a fun little event that happened today. After making a 1L starter with Wyeast 3278 last night, I returned home from work and (not having a stir plate yet) gave it a good shake. And covered myself in a massive eruption of yeasty worty foam!

Thankfully, I didn't lose it all, so hopefully I can build it back up and use it for my first lambic-style. I figure it'll all be fine. I've learned to relax. And now I've also learned to use a more gentle touch with my starters! Not that all of you don't know this already, of course, just sharing my foam explosion with you.

In Bottles: Russian Imperial Stout, Oatmeal Stout, Saison, Blonde Ale, Saison de Noel, Robust Porter, Kinderweisse, Dead Ringer IPA, The Innkeeper, Chinook IPA, Independence Wheat, Stellar Pilsner, Lambic (after 26-month fermentation)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2012, 06:19 AM   #2
phoenixs4r
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 38

LOL. kinda like when i recommended someone pressurize their keg with 30psi and forgot to let them know there MIGHT be a bit of liquid that comes flying at their face when doing so.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply