Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Foam blew off my airlock, tried Fermcap but foam keeps ent airlock. What's the danger

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Foam blew off my airlock, tried Fermcap but foam keeps ent airlock. What's the danger

Foam blew the airlock and plug out of my better bottle. I don't know how long it had been open. I'm in a situation where I can't go get a blow off tube. So I put several drops of foam control in there and refilled and replaced the airlock but foam has entered the airlock 3 times since. Is there a danger of infection or off flavors because of the lack of pressure? What can I expect to be screwed up, if anything? I'm sure anything is possible but it seems if foam is coming out nothing bad can get it until it stops.

Wayne Gretzky-"100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
dhoyt714
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I had the same thing happen a few weeks ago. You need a blowoff tube. I think its 3/8. You can google it. Then out that tube in some water with star San and you should be good to go.

Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:44 PM   #3
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoyt714 View Post
I had the same thing happen a few weeks ago. You need a blowoff tube. I think its 3/8. You can google it. Then out that tube in some water with star San and you should be good to go.
I know I need a blow off tube. I can't get one and it's into fermentation 4 days anyway. I was just wondering what I can expect as far as beer being screwed up.

Wayne Gretzky-"100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:03 AM   #4
usafbeerlover
Recipes 

Default Me too

I had the same thing happen in my FC. Really not sure how long it sat open but the beer looked fine and smells good. Will be bottling next week so I will post an update.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:26 AM   #5
CCericola
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm guessing you're pushing out enough CO2 to keep the bad stuff from getting in.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:04 AM   #6
billdog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have had that happen and as long as you keep cleaning and replacing ur beer will be fine.

Quick Reply