Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Flat Beer. Can I add yeast to bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
Beerfly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Flat Beer. Can I add yeast to bottles?

I have a high gravity HopSlam clone I bottled a month ago. For the last week I have brought some upstairs to warmer temps and agitated the bottles. Flat out ...flat. I will give it a little more time but if it comes down to it, I suspect a lack of viable yeast at bottling time. Can I add yeast to the bottles and recap? Use a dropper for some kind of accuracy? Rehydrate a dry yeast like Safale 05?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

If they've been down in the cool for a substantial lenght of time before they were above 70 degrees, then their growth was retarded for that length of time, so it doesn't count towards your "3 weeks @ 70 degrees" MINIMUM it usually takes If you've just brought them up for a week, more than likely you STILL need 2 or more weeks in the warmth NOT re-yeasting them.

The yeast in there is still viable, it just was sluggish/dormant, it just needs to wake up and be given enough time to do it's thing.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
Beerfly
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post

The yeast in there is still viable, it just was sluggish/dormant, it just needs to wake up and be given enough time to do it's thing.
Well than I will let it sit for another month at the warmer temps and enjoy my other brews for now. Thanks!

Old 05-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #4
Beerfly
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Still absoulutely flat, any ideas?

Old 05-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

Rehydrate said yeast in water (or use liquid) in a sanitized container, get a children's medicine dropper with ML gradients like this,

Sanitize it, open beer bottle, suck up slurry into sanitized eyedropper, squirt 1-2 ml of yeast into bottle, then re-cap. Give the bottles a shake, and then walk away for another 2-3 weeks to give that yeast a chance to do the job.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-10-2012, 01:43 AM   #6
Beerfly
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So if I have 50 bottles and add 1ml each, I need 50ml which is about 1/4 cup. So I can rehydrate a package of dry yeast in 1/4 of water and I should be set? Plus sanitize everything and use boiled water.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:01 AM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfly View Post
So if I have 50 bottles and add 1ml each, I need 50ml which is about 1/4 cup. So I can rehydrate a package of dry yeast in 1/4 of water and I should be set? Plus sanitize everything and use boiled water.
I'd rehydrate in more water so you're not trying to suck up every last drop of liquid in a container.

Quick Reply