Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > First Time Yeast Starter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
gometz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Default First Time Yeast Starter

This weekend I brewed a lager for the first time in about a year, and in my efforts to improve my quality I did a starter.

Now from what I have read on here and in my books, lagers really need a big starter, so I decided to do a 3L starter (OG 1.040) with two vials of WLP838 for 36 hours (swirling it every hour or so). I got a nice thick layer of yeast at the bottle of my 1gal jug (about 1-1.5 in). I decanted and added some clean water to slurry it, took some out and put it back into one of the vials (I want to add a little for conditioning with DME).

Was/is this the correct process?

Should I wash the yeast I pulled off for later with clean water or can it sit on the used up starter fluid?

I am slightly worried that I overpitched, but with a lager I think that would be difficult in a homebrew setting (according to Designing Great Beers I think it was that a vial is about 10% of what a lager really needs, even though MrMalty says 4.5 vials without starter).

Thank you ahead of time for any responses.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply