Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > First time sour attempt, how's this sound?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
boswell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default First time sour attempt, how's this sound?

I brewed up a simple brownish 1.043ish, lightly hopped beer that is about 3 days into primary. Bubbling steady (used the Super San Diego yeast just because I had it around), but not a big krausen. I recently purchased a 'bugged' 5 gallon barrel (which smells awesome, sweet vinegar-y).

This is my first attempt at souring beer, being a light beer, I was curious if I should rack the unfinished beer into the barrel so there are some residual sugars for the bugs to start working on? Being a small barrel, I realize that the souring process may be shorter, and to watch for too much vinegar due to oxygen diffusion through the small staves. Should I rack now, or let it finish out?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
TomRep
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Not much help here as I've never made a sour yet, but interested in the answers you get. I saw that "bugged" barrel and was going to buy it myself. That is until you stole it from me! Good luck!
tom

Abandoned Logic Brewing

Old 03-24-2012, 02:01 AM   #3
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 276 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I would be concerned about there being too much acetic acid bacteria in the barrel, and turning the beer into vinegar.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:28 AM   #4
edecambra
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The more residuals the more sour. I'd rack it now, if you let it finish it may take a year our more to sour, during which time you may get too much oxygen pickup and acetic production.

rack it now you will have faster souring, but at such a low gravity, you may already be done.

Also you can rack intothe barrel for a few weeks to inoculate the brew, then back to a carboy to prevent took much oxygen during ageing.

Quick Reply