*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > First time with Safale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #21
doublehaul
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hector View Post
They were Extract-batches . I always kept the Beer in the Primary for 3 Weeks and then primed and bottled . But , all of them ended up with a very sour and undrinkable Beer . At first , I was suspicious of infection . Although , I had sanitized everything very carefully . Sometimes even so extremely as if I was a Surgeon in an Operation room .

As I explained my brew day in details , some HBT members told me that it couldn't be any infection . Eventually , a member told me the trick .

If only she had told me that much earlier .

Anyway , I brewed a small test batch and let it sit in the Primary for 1 Week and transferred it into the Secondary and let it sit there for 2 Weeks .

At the end , it was the first drinkable Beer I've ever made .

Hector
that is interesting, I wonder what is up with that. I was planning on not touching for 2 weeks but maybe i'll transfer to secondary when I dry hop.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #22
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4505 Times on 3276 Posts
Likes Given: 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublehaul View Post
that is interesting, I wonder what is up with that. I was planning on not touching for 2 weeks but maybe i'll transfer to secondary when I dry hop.
There's no need to transfer. That yeast strain is good quality and I use it often. I dryhop many batches right in the fermenter and it works out fine. The key with most yeast strains is to simply stay within the optimum fermentation temperature range.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:37 PM   #23
Skipper74
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by corax View Post
The goal is to pitch sufficient yeast into the fermenter to achieve active fermentation as quickly as possible. A 50% kill going into a starter is no big deal, because you don't care about the lag time in a starter. You do care about it in the fermenter, or you wouldn't bother with making starters in the first place.
This makes sense. Thanks.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:51 PM   #24
doublehaul
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Yooper how long do you typically leave in the fermenter with safale at optimal temps

Old 07-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #25
adamjackson
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 162

I hear the hydration argument a lot. I've used Safale on 5 batches so far from extract kits where the yeast is sitting at room temp for months and I put it right into the aerated wort and get insane krausen in 24 hours.

I'm a bit crazy...about beer.
My Beer Blog
My Beer Photos
Untappd Profile

Old 07-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #26
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjackson View Post
I hear the hydration argument a lot. I've used Safale on 5 batches so far from extract kits where the yeast is sitting at room temp for months and I put it right into the aerated wort and get insane krausen in 24 hours.
Well that must be the absolute perfect way to do it then.

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 07-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #27
adamjackson
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by osagedr View Post
No, not what I was saying. My point is, a lot of worry occurs when it comes to pitching and, in my lazy methods of just dumping it in the fermenter, I've had zero issues even with a beer with an insane OG of 1.101.

I'm a bit crazy...about beer.
My Beer Blog
My Beer Photos
Untappd Profile

Old 07-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #28
mccullpl
Recipes 

I'm curious about losing 1/2 the yeast cells too. If a packet of dry yeast has ~ twice the cells as a smack pack, but half of them die if you don't hydrate, how is that different than underpitching with 1 smack pack. Sounds like you'd end up with about the same number of healthy yeast cells...(as long as your smack pack has close to 100% healthy cells). I know from experience that 1 smack pack in a 1.054 wort is seriously underpitching...with that said, I just brewed a 1.044 dry stout with S-04, and didn't rehydrate.

Not arguing with the pros on this, but the math just doesn't seem to work.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #29
JJL
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjackson View Post
No, not what I was saying. My point is, a lot of worry occurs when it comes to pitching and, in my lazy methods of just dumping it in the fermenter, I've had zero issues even with a beer with an insane OG of 1.101.
Quote:
Originally Posted by osagedr View Post
Actually, if you read the Fermentis instructions it says you can either bloom the yeast first or you can direct pitch into the wort. (I'm obviously paraphrasing.)

And yes, anecdotally, there are lots of people making great beer pitching dry yeast.

Although, at an OG of 1.101 I'm guessing it probably finished under-attenuated, but I could be wrong.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #30
Molybedenum
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjackson

I think the response here is more in line with the mentality. The question is, "Do you care a lot about the quality of the finished product?"

The reason to hydrate the yeast is due to the fact that the difference in gravity inside the yeast vs outside the yeast is such that the water inside the yeast gets sucked out. In essence, the yeast goes poof, and implodes. Some yeast is strong enough to withstand the pressure, but a straight pitch of dry will negate the bonuses of pitching dry yeast in the first place. You lose a considerable amount of the population.

It's similar to people that pitch their tubes or smack packs without making a starter. There is a thread floating around here where they studied the effects of over pitching and under pitching. I've seen that underpitched yeast mostly takes longer to take off, and also will throw more off flavors. The end result is going to be beer, but it might not taste as good as it could.

YMMV, naturally. It's one of those brewer's choice type of things.

Quick Reply