Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > First time with Safale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #11
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublehaul View Post
"Re-hydrate the dry yeast into yeast cream in a stirred vessel prior to pitching. Sprinkle the dry
yeast in 10 times its own weight of sterile water or wort at 27C ± 3C. Once the expected
weight of dry yeast is reconstituted into cream by this method (this takes about 15 to 30
minutes), maintain a gentle stirring for another 30 minutes. Then pitch the resultant cream into
the fermentation vessel."

Do you follow this method? Stir for 30 minutes? Does anyone use a stir plate for this? Or would that be overkill? I have it sitting in a measuring cup (yeast + cup of water), I wonder if it would be safe to drop a sanitized stir bar in.
I use a stir plate for this all the time (300 ml beaker and small stir bar) and it works like a charm (see the "stirred vessel" part in the instructions). I get a surprisingly big krausen on the yeast while it's rehydrating. Did two packs of US-05 in 230 ml of water yesterday. Boil the water, then chill in a freezer to 70 degrees, sprinkle the yeast in, set it on the stir plate, then forget about it for half an hour or an hour on the stir plate, then pitch and aerate.

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 04:19 PM   #12
hector
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Are you going to use "Safale S-04" in an Extract or an AG batch ?

Hector

Old 07-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #13
doublehaul
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hector View Post
Are you going to use "Safale S-04" in an Extract or an AG batch ?

Hector
all grain

Old 07-09-2012, 06:25 PM   #14
doublehaul
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by osagedr View Post
I use a stir plate for this all the time (300 ml beaker and small stir bar) and it works like a charm (see the "stirred vessel" part in the instructions). I get a surprisingly big krausen on the yeast while it's rehydrating. Did two packs of US-05 in 230 ml of water yesterday. Boil the water, then chill in a freezer to 70 degrees, sprinkle the yeast in, set it on the stir plate, then forget about it for half an hour or an hour on the stir plate, then pitch and aerate.
yeah I boiled 1 C and let it chill to a little under 90F because the mfr website suggested 27C ± 3C - so ~ 75F to 86F, and palmer's books said 95 to 105. I sprinkled on water, let sit for 15 mins, stirred with a sterilized thermometer then swirled (not all yeast had been absorbed), waited about 20, then swirled again and pitched.

I pitched at a little higher temp (74F) than I normally do (68F) because the website says - "Alternatively, pitch dry yeast directly in the fermentation vessel providing the temperature of
the wort is above 20C (68F)
" but in retrospect I should have brought down to 68 because somehow it got up to 78 after for a short time. I got it down to 72 quickly with wet towels, and now I have it at 68 in the "swamp cooler." We will see - pretty cool I can brew in this hot weather anyways

Old 07-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #15
jtakacs
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i've always just aerated and direct pitched and have never had an issue. most everything takes off within hours quite nicely. i usually pitch directly into about 75 degrees and then drop the fermentation temp down to 68. unless it's winter and then i just let it ride at house temps.

somehow stating that direct pitching will kill half the yeast doesn't make sense to me... it's just a big starter imo, but i'm not an osmotic pressure kind of guy - now i have to look it up.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #16
hector
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
all grain
O.K.

I asked that because I lost three Extract-batches brewed with "Safale S-04" , although I had controlled the temperature well ( always below 67 F ) .

Recently , someone in "HBT" told me that I should not leave the Beer for more than a Week on the yeast cake of S-04 and I should transfer it

to the Secondary after one Week .

I did so by my recent batch and the Beer turned out good with no problem .

I'm very interested to see how this strain would behave by your batch . So , please tell us about it by the next Weeks .

Hector

Old 07-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #17
Skipper74
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakacs View Post
somehow stating that direct pitching will kill half the yeast doesn't make sense to me... it's just a big starter imo, but i'm not an osmotic pressure kind of guy - now i have to look it up.
I have always thought the same thing--does anyone have any evidence or explanation of why the hydration of the dry yeast kills 50 percent of them if done in the post boil, hopped wort, but not in a starter, which is really just unhopped wort?

Old 07-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #18
doublehaul
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hector View Post
O.K.

I asked that because I lost three Extract-batches brewed with "Safale S-04" , although I had controlled the temperature well ( always below 67 F ) .

Recently , someone in "HBT" told me that I should not leave the Beer for more than a Week on the yeast cake of S-04 and I should transfer it

to the Secondary after one Week .

I did so by my recent batch and the Beer turned out good with no problem .

I'm very interested to see how this strain would behave by your batch . So , please tell us about it by the next Weeks .

Hector
will do. what happened to your batches?

Old 07-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #19
corax
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper74 View Post
I have always thought the same thing--does anyone have any evidence or explanation of why the hydration of the dry yeast kills 50 percent of them if done in the post boil, hopped wort, but not in a starter, which is really just unhopped wort?
The goal is to pitch sufficient yeast into the fermenter to achieve active fermentation as quickly as possible. A 50% kill going into a starter is no big deal, because you don't care about the lag time in a starter. You do care about it in the fermenter, or you wouldn't bother with making starters in the first place.

I only tried using dry yeast without rehydration once , and it took almost 24 hours for fermentation to get going. When I rehydrate first, the same amount of dry yeast gets going in 4 to 8 hours. This is too small a sample size to reach any general conclusions, but that experience, on top of the manufacturer's recommendation to rehydrate, plus the fact that rehydration is stupid fast and simple, compels me to rehydrate every time I use dry yeast.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:01 PM   #20
hector
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
what happened to your batches?
They were Extract-batches . I always kept the Beer in the Primary for 3 Weeks and then primed and bottled . But , all of them ended up with a very sour and undrinkable Beer . At first , I was suspicious of infection . Although , I had sanitized everything very carefully . Sometimes even so extremely as if I was a Surgeon in an Operation room .

As I explained my brew day in details , some HBT members told me that it couldn't be any infection . Eventually , a member told me the trick .

If only she had told me that much earlier .

Anyway , I brewed a small test batch and let it sit in the Primary for 1 Week and transferred it into the Secondary and let it sit there for 2 Weeks .

At the end , it was the first drinkable Beer I've ever made .

Hector

Quick Reply