Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > First time with Safale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
doublehaul
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default First time with Safale

I'll be brewing with Safale s-04 today. I always have used wyeast and typically get a starter going so this is a different experience. I grabbed safale yesterday because i want to brew today and didn't have time for a starter. It's in my fridge right now. Any advice? Bring up to room temperature, hydrate or no? I've seen differing advice. Is one 11.5 g pack sufficient for 1.064 OG, to bring it down to around 1.018? thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
voltin
Beholden to the Yeast
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Definitely rehydrate your yeast per the instruction on the packet. It is estimated that when dry yeast is pitched directly into the wort about 50% of the yeast cells die do to osmotic pressure. As far as warming it up, just take it out when you start your brew day and rehydrate while you are chilling. According to the Mr. Malty pitching rate calculator you would need 1.1 packets (12g) for a 5G batch of 1.064, but 1.0 should be fine especially with as high of an FG you are looking for. Hope that helps.

On Deck: Motor Oil Barleywine, Cider Trials, Vanilla Cream Ale, California Blonde
Primary: Cotton Blossom Traditional Mead, 1744 Porter (Ale-ian Society Club Brew), Old Ale
Secondary: Peach Wine, Cranberry Cider
Kegged: Nothing :(
On Tap: Nothing :(
Bottled: Yup still nothing...

Old 07-08-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4785 Times on 3480 Posts
Likes Given: 956

I like Safale's yeast, and use both S04 and S05 frequently. One thing about S04 I've noticed is that I like the flavor best when the beer is fermented at 64-65 degrees. Definitely try to keep it under 70 degrees if you can.

S04 will clear the beer nicely, so in 7-10 days you'll have a perfectly clear beer.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:59 PM   #4
doublehaul
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

well there are no instructions on the packet! i think i remember reading about it in the palmer book though
temp control is going to be an issue - it's going to be pushing 100 here with no AC, but I can keep our house pretty cool. i will do my best about 70 but it's gonna be tough

Old 07-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
CS223
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublehaul View Post
well there are no instructions on the packet! i think i remember reading about it in the palmer book though
temp control is going to be an issue - it's going to be pushing 100 here with no AC, but I can keep our house pretty cool. i will do my best about 70 but it's gonna be tough
Like all mfrs the instructions are on their website:

Safale US-04

Of all the things I've learned from HBT the single most important lesson has been: RDWHAHB.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #6
gsanstra
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Check the ferments web site, they have spec sheet on their site:

http://www.fermentis.com/fo/pdf/HB/E...le_S-04_HB.pdf

It was helpful for me, as it has temperature ranges etc.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #7
doublehaul
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

"Re-hydrate the dry yeast into yeast cream in a stirred vessel prior to pitching. Sprinkle the dry
yeast in 10 times its own weight of sterile water or wort at 27C ± 3C. Once the expected
weight of dry yeast is reconstituted into cream by this method (this takes about 15 to 30
minutes), maintain a gentle stirring for another 30 minutes. Then pitch the resultant cream into
the fermentation vessel."

Do you follow this method? Stir for 30 minutes? Does anyone use a stir plate for this? Or would that be overkill? I have it sitting in a measuring cup (yeast + cup of water), I wonder if it would be safe to drop a sanitized stir bar in.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #8
corax
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublehaul View Post
Do you follow this method? Stir for 30 minutes? Does anyone use a stir plate for this? Or would that be overkill? I have it sitting in a measuring cup (yeast + cup of water), I wonder if it would be safe to drop a sanitized stir bar in.
I think it would be overkill. I simply sprinkle a packet or two on a cup of warm water (slightly less than body temp), and let it sit for half an hour. It should foam around the edges by then. Then I swirl it a bit to suspend it evenly, and dump into the fermenter. It usually gets going in ~4 hr.

S-04 does have a reputation for nasty off-flavors at higher fermenting temps, so try to keep it at 70 or lower.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:02 PM   #9
Prymal
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublehaul
You can always make a swamp cooler! Use a bathtub in a pinch but I ran and grabbed a round kitchen garbage can for $10 at wal-Mart to make mine. Fill the can 1/3 with water and freeze a gallon water jug or even a couple water bottles. Change them out once you see they are melted (maybe twice a day) for at least the first 3 days after which you can probably leave it alone until you are ready to bottle or keg.
Desert Basin Brewery
Future Brews:
Fermenting: Desert Basin Pale Ale, Ninkasi Tricerihops Clone
Bottled: Desert Knight RIS, Scottish Winter Warmer
Kegged: Cleaning out the closet Porter
Gallons Brewed 2013: 15
Gallons Brewed 2012: 90.0
Gallons Brewed 2011: 77.5

Old 07-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #10
doublehaul
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prymal View Post
You can always make a swamp cooler! Use a bathtub in a pinch but I ran and grabbed a round kitchen garbage can for $10 at wal-Mart to make mine. Fill the can 1/3 with water and freeze a gallon water jug or even a couple water bottles. Change them out once you see they are melted (maybe twice a day) for at least the first 3 days after which you can probably leave it alone until you are ready to bottle or keg.
I ended up doing about the same thing. I have it sitting in a plastic rubbermaid with water and wet towels draped over it - I read somewhere the evaporation cools it also. I did put some ice cubes in initially but they are melted now. I'll have to add frozen jugs like you suggest. I think I'm doing Ok but it was around 74+ initially before I did this. I hope that short time at high temps won't cause off flavors. 101F here today!

Quick Reply