Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > First time making a starter, what's happening?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2009, 06:05 PM   #1
MrBungle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First time making a starter, what's happening?

So I am brewing an AHS Bavarian Doppelbock extract kit. I got 2 vials of White Labs Bock yeast. The OG is 1.088 and they suggested I make a starter. I made a 1 quart wort, cooled it to 55*F and popped the yeast in there on monday(10/19). Shook it like hell, put in my airlock, and set it in the fridge. I was planning on brewing tomorrow but I haven't seen much activity other than tiny bubbles rising. I also have a Brewvint yeast supplement capsule I plan on throwing in my actual wort, or should I put it in the starter? Thank you.
Here is a pic:

Currently Fermenting - Black IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2009, 06:13 PM   #2
Jenks829
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

The air lock is unnecessary because you would want the yeast to have access to fresh oxygen to reproduce. Simply covering the opening loosely with aluminum foil will work.

In addition, you don't want to put your starter in the fridge. The lower temperatures will slow the yeast down and eventually make them dormant.

By looking at the picture of your starter, I think I can see a thin layer of yeast at the bottom (the white layer on top of the trub).

The purpose of a starter is to create a large population of healthy yeast. The best way to do this is to essentially make a mini-beer. Your starter should be at temperature required for the yeast (around room temp, 65F-74F, but it may vary depending on what type of yeast you are using) and away from sunlight. If you don't have a stirplate, give the starter a good swirl a few times a day to introduce fresh oxygen and roust the yeast back into suspension, giving them a chance to reproduce.

Take the lid off and cover with aluminum foil, give it a good swirl and it will be ready to go in 24-48 hours.

The yeast supplement should go into the wort, added towards the end of the boil.

On Deck: This will be the summer of wheat beer experiments!

Primary: Pomegranate Wheat, Apricot Wheat, Wine Beer

Secondary: 2012 Washington State Merlot, 2012 Italian Carmenere, 2012 Italian Montepulciano, 2012 Italian Barolo, 2012 Central Valley Viognier

Aging in bottle: 2010 Washington State Merlot, 2010 California Cabernet Sauvignon, 2011 Washington State Cabernet Sauvignon

Drinking:

Old 10-23-2009, 06:17 PM   #3
MrBungle
Recipes 

hmm.. OK thanks. also, the yeasts optimal temp is around 50* since it's a lager yeast.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:21 PM   #4
EvilGnome6
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Here's a cool article on Yeast Propagation and Maintenance. The ideal temperature for yeast propagation is 77F, even if you will be fermenting at a lower temperature. Even for lager yeasts.

Reason: Added note.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:05 PM   #5
DrinkNoH2O
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

As mentioned before, it shouldn't be in the fridge and you should use a loosely wrapped piece of aluminum foil in place of the airlock.

Also, since you used 2 vials of pitchable yeast in the starter you could probably use quite a bit more wort.

It looks like you have a 1qt. starter. I typically use 2 qts. with one smack pack, and you have more than double that amount of yeast. You should have at least 2 qts. of starter, but I would even shoot for 3.

But not to worry, nothing is ruined. Just bring back to room temp, change the airlock out, and possibly transfer to a larger vessel with more wort added. Of course keeping sterile the entire time.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:34 PM   #6
MrBungle
Recipes 

great! thanks for the info guys! that article is awesome. wish I found that before I found this: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/yeas...33/#post276092

Old 10-24-2009, 01:26 AM   #7
MrBungle
Recipes 

OK so I don't have a bigger vessel but I added another quart of wort and 1/4 of the brewvint capsule I have. i'm seeing more tiny bubbles already! since it doesn't look like i'll be brewing tomorrow, the next available day will be on tuesday. will that be OK?

Old 10-24-2009, 01:29 AM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
OK so I don't have a bigger vessel but I added another quart of wort and 1/4 of the brewvint capsule I have. i'm seeing more tiny bubbles already! since it doesn't look like i'll be brewing tomorrow, the next available day will be on tuesday. will that be OK?
Yes it will be.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply