Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > First time making a starter... I think I fouled it up noobie style.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2013, 11:51 PM   #11
Tupperwolf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Just an update. The bucket has been in the chest freezer around 60* all day. This afternoon the fermentation really picked up and it's now going gangbusters. The blowoff hose is bubbling about 45-50 times per minute with an occasional really big burp. I'm very pleased!

In the meantime I drank a bottle of Rogue Dirtoir black lager this afternoon and noticed a thick slurry of Oktoberfest yeast in the bottom, made a very small (300ml) starter in a pickle jar and pitched it. I'm interested to see if it comes to life and I can build up a good sized amount of this yeast, just as an inexpensive experiment!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2013, 12:50 AM   #12
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 745 Times on 625 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupperwolf View Post
Just an update. The bucket has been in the chest freezer around 60* all day. This afternoon the fermentation really picked up and it's now going gangbusters. The blowoff hose is bubbling about 45-50 times per minute with an occasional really big burp. I'm very pleased!

In the meantime I drank a bottle of Rogue Dirtoir black lager this afternoon and noticed a thick slurry of Oktoberfest yeast in the bottom, made a very small (300ml) starter in a pickle jar and pitched it. I'm interested to see if it comes to life and I can build up a good sized amount of this yeast, just as an inexpensive experiment!
In 3 or 4 days that activity will slow down as your yeast go into the silent phase. When it does, let your beer warm up a bit. The yeast will clean up your beer better. In about another week, take a hydrometer sample to see how close it is to FG. Take another in a couple more days and if the two readings match, bottle when you have the time. It won't hurt to sit in the fermenter longer but I'd caution you on leaving it more than......
6 months or so. You might forget it.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:28 AM   #13
Tupperwolf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN

In 3 or 4 days that activity will slow down as your yeast go into the silent phase. When it does, let your beer warm up a bit. The yeast will clean up your beer better. In about another week, take a hydrometer sample to see how close it is to FG. Take another in a couple more days and if the two readings match, bottle when you have the time. It won't hurt to sit in the fermenter longer but I'd caution you on leaving it more than......
6 months or so. You might forget it.
Great advice Thanks! The creator of this recipe says it only spent 9 days in primary and won an award at only 3 weeks old. I don't intend to move it through my new little pipeline anywhere near that fast, but I am looking forward to having a refreshing wheat beer when it gets hotter soon.

Bottles: Weedwhacker Wheat, SimCity IPA, MO/Cascade SMaSH
Primary: Sasquatch Imperial Stout, Bee Cave Kolsch
Next to brew: Some sort of enamel-melting IPA and a nut brown

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply