New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > first time laggering. few questions about cali yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2010, 10:10 PM   #1
ekjohns
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default first time laggering. few questions about cali yeast

I brewed a basic amber lager that was 90% 2-row and 10% crystal 60. OG was 1.048. I am using white labs san francisco lager yeast but have a few questions about fermintation times and lagering time. After about 8 days the fermintation has stopped. I plan on doing 2 full weeks in primary then to secondary. Because this is kind of a hybrid yeast do i need to do a long lager in the secondary or would 3-4 weeks in secondary be okay? Also would it be fine to leave the secondary at 66 F as it is a warmer lager yeast or do i still need to lager at cold temp. If i need to get it cold I will have to put it in a corny keg and into the kegerator which i would really rather prefer not to.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2010, 10:19 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You can do it either way. A secondary at 66 is fine, but keep in mind you'll still have to do a few months of lagering. So...regardless of how you choose to proceed, you'll have to condition it at around 35F for a few months. I usually skip secondary and do a 4 week primary. I haven't used hybrid yeasts too much, but I don't think a lagering process is absolutely neccissary with them...it just helps. Just make sure your yeast is going to be stable at 35-40F.

Another HERMS rig...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply