Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > First time freezing yeast.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2013, 11:39 PM   #1
mChavez
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default First time freezing yeast.

Hi!

I've finally forked out some cash on some good liquid yeast and I intend to breed them and freeze them to use for future brews.

Would vials like these be good for the job?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...:X:RTQ:GB:1123

I intend to sanitize with starsan before freezing.

Thank you!

Finished: Munton's Nut Brown Ale; Cooper's Wheat Beer; EdWort's Apfelwein;
Bottled: California Connoisseur Roja Tinto, Coopers IPA kit with additional hops; Munton's Stout; Extract Oktoberfast; Extract Hefeweizen; Extract Rauchbier;
Fermenting: Christmas Trappist; Elderflower wine;
ToDo: Dooval, BCB Porter; Extract Startup Scottish Ale; ZZ-Hop light honey beer; Extract blonde ale; Extract IPA; Mead; More Apfelwein; Extract Mild;

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2013, 11:50 PM   #2
mChavez
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Or if something like this would be better (50ml vs 15ml, screw tops)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-x-Labor...item58a01ce998

Bottled: California Connoisseur Roja Tinto, Coopers IPA kit with additional hops; Munton's Stout; Extract Oktoberfast; Extract Hefeweizen; Extract Rauchbier;
ToDo: Dooval, BCB Porter; Extract Startup Scottish Ale; ZZ-Hop light honey beer; Extract blonde ale; Extract IPA; Mead; More Apfelwein; Extract Mild;

Old 06-30-2013, 12:12 AM   #3
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 568 Times on 483 Posts
Likes Given: 155

I would find a vial between 20 and 50 ml that has a screw on top. I wouldn't trust a snap top cap. The link to the centrifuge tubes showed one with an attached cap, whatever that means.

Here is what I use: http://www.sks-bottle.com/340c/fin59a.html

Old 06-30-2013, 12:26 AM   #4
kh54s10
Recipes 

This is the thread that got me started: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/guid...st-bank-35891/

I now have 9 or 10 varieties up to about 1.5 years old. I have used several, over one year old, successfully. I am using 5 ml yeast 5 ml glycerin and 10 ml water. I make a starter with every new liquid yeast purchase, larger than needed for the recipe being made. I then make up 4 vials to freeze. If I made 4 new ones from each I could brew 256 batches from the original purchase.

This is a great way to save money on yeast. It costs a lot less to make starters than to buy more liquid yeast.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:38 AM   #5
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 342 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Thanks for the feedback that this works. I've been "meaning to get around to it" but am a little skeptical, it just sounds to good to be true.

Now I am going to buy the equipment and start doing this.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing, visiting the great breweries / brewpubs in CO!

Old 06-30-2013, 04:45 AM   #6
bratrules
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

This is where a stir plate comes in really handy!!! But yes this a really great way to save money and always have a few different strains of yeast on hand.

Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy. - Frank Sinatra

Old 06-30-2013, 10:18 AM   #7
el_caro
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
I now have 9 or 10 varieties up to about 1.5 years old. I have used several, over one year old, successfully. I am using 5 ml yeast 5 ml glycerin and 10 ml water.
Interested to know what process you use for reviving them. How to you raise their temperature and what size starter steps do you use?

Old 06-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #8
mChavez
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks!

I think that the 50ml ones are screw tops.
Is there any difference between storing yeast in 20ml or 50ml tubes apart from saving freezer space?

Old 07-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #9
kh54s10
Recipes 

A couple of days later, but I hope you guys see my answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_caro View Post
Interested to know what process you use for reviving them. How to you raise their temperature and what size starter steps do you use?
When I take a vial, that contains 5ml yeast, to use I put in the refrigerator for a day. Then I put it on the counter the day I start the step ups so it warms to pitching temperature while I make a weak 250ml starter and run it for 18-24 hours. I chill, decant and continue with a 500ml starter, chill and decant. I then figure this gives me approximately the amount in a vial or pack. I then make my final starter for the beer on deck. This has worked very well. I do not know how accurate I am with cell counts but I think this is close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mChavez View Post
Thanks!

I think that the 50ml ones are screw tops.
Is there any difference between storing yeast in 20ml or 50ml tubes apart from saving freezer space?
I have seen different sizes used for freezing. I just selected the 20ml size. The main difference would be how much yeast you have in your vial and how much would result after your first step up. The 20ml vial has only 5ml yeast to be frozen, but this has worked well for me with yeast that has been frozen for more than a year.

If you store yeast in a frost free freezer surround the vials with freezer gel packs to counteract the thaw cycle. My yeast survived an 18 hour power outage.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #10
mChavez
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Once again thanks for help!
Just waiting for all parts of my diy stir plate to arrive.

Quick Reply