*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > First Time Brewing Fermentation Stopped

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2013, 03:26 AM   #1
CardenVonDraken
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Time Brewing Fermentation Stopped

I'm just getting into home brewing, so I thought I'd try something simple for my first attempt: 1 gallon spiced hard cider. I added 1tsp of yeast to the 1 gallon mixture. The airlock started bubbling pretty soon after. I put it in my minifridge (thinking I had gotten it warm enough). I checked back later and it had stopped bubbling. I took it out of the minifridge (realising my mistake that I got it too cold) and gave the liquid a good swish. After a minute or two it started bubbling again. But now it has stopped and only gives me one or two bubbles if I swish it again.
It's one gallon in a 5 gallon carboy, if that makes any difference in how much the airlock will bubble.
I'm just paranoid that I ruined it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
tonybaloni
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardenVonDraken View Post
I'm just getting into home brewing, so I thought I'd try something simple for my first attempt: 1 gallon spiced hard cider. I added 1tsp of yeast to the 1 gallon mixture. The airlock started bubbling pretty soon after. I put it in my minifridge (thinking I had gotten it warm enough). I checked back later and it had stopped bubbling. I took it out of the minifridge (realising my mistake that I got it too cold) and gave the liquid a good swish. After a minute or two it started bubbling again. But now it has stopped and only gives me one or two bubbles if I swish it again.
It's one gallon in a 5 gallon carboy, if that makes any difference in how much the airlock will bubble.
I'm just paranoid that I ruined it.
Hi With that much head-space in the carboy it will take one heck of a lot of fermentation to start pushing the airlock.
The airlock works by pressure build up behind it, air is far more compressible than wort the airlock wont do much after the initial few days I wouldn't have thought. The only way to tell if the brew is finished would be to use a hydrometer IMO.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardenVonDraken View Post

Absolutely. I would be surprised if your 1 gallon of wort built up enough head space to ever push the airlock. Take a hydrometer reading, no need to worry.
Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Old 03-27-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Just because the airlock stops bubbling does not mean that it's not fermenting.

Quick Reply