Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > First time 2 stage yeast starter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2013, 05:51 AM   #1
jesseroberge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Hey homebrewers I just did my first yeast starter with my brand new stir plate "stirstarter"

I said why don't we try a real starter to play with my new toy !!!

Here is my impression

2 cups of water and 1/2 cup of DME boiled for 10 mins and then added 1x pack of Wyeast Nothwest Ale stired for 24 hours...

Let it sit on the counter for a few hours to decant the wort and then added another 2 cups of water and 1/2 cup of DME that was at room temp... Stired for another 24 hours...

The liquid was beige and very creamy Everything sounds good so far

I brew my Caramel brew racked it to my primary, set it to rest with the starter in the flask near by for 7 hours before pitching just to be sure the both liquids are at the same temp wich is 70 degrees...

My beer started fermenting 20 hours after pitching... Isn't it supposed to reduce lag time ?

Actually I see no difference between a normal pitch and my 2 stage starter, is this normal ?

I must mention that I racked the whole brew pot into my fermenter, trub and all... I put all my hops in a muslin bag but the whirlflock tablet made so much suspention that even my OG test tube had a cold break in it Can this affect the yeast ?

Maby I thought it would rock the hell out of my beer...

What am I supposed to expect with a starter ? Is everything normal ?

My OG was 1.046

According to Mr.Malty my target cell count should have been 179 Billion and I pitched 149 billion, I should have made a 3rd step but I was out of time

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
jesseroberge
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Anyone ?

Old 08-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
JimRausch
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Q- what did you expect to see differently?
Did you oxygenate? If not, that can slow down the initial fermentation.
A 'visual 20- hour lag time' is not bad. And remember while you may not see anything happening, those little boogers are working very hard, multiplying to the perfect number, aerobic fermenting, and in-general getting ready for the visible stage of anaerobic fermentation. So, it may not have looked any different, but I'm betting your yeasties were much happier, and will ultimately give you a better brew with fewer off-flavors.
They called- Your yeast thanks you!
p.s. the trub won't affect the yeast, except possibly to provide some nutrients.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:46 PM   #4
jesseroberge
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRausch
Q- what did you expect to see differently?
Did you oxygenate? If not, that can slow down the initial fermentation.
A 'visual 20- hour lag time' is not bad. And remember while you may not see anything happening, those little boogers are working very hard, multiplying to the perfect number, aerobic fermenting, and in-general getting ready for the visible stage of anaerobic fermentation. So, it may not have looked any different, but I'm betting your yeasties were much happier, and will ultimately give you a better brew with fewer off-flavors.
They called- Your yeast thanks you!
p.s. the trub won't affect the yeast, except possibly to provide some nutrients.
Thanks dude I actualy don't know what to expect... I did not oxegenate the yeast I just removed the stopper and poured all the creamy liquid...

Maby I thought it would start bubbling like mad in a 2 hour time frame -) habahaaha stupid me lol

So all in all aside from more yeast cells, it's the same thing as pitching a smack pack

Old 08-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #5
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 502 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Quote:
2 cups of water and 1/2 cup of DME boiled for 10 mins and then added 1x pack of Wyeast Nothwest Ale stired for 24 hours...

Let it sit on the counter for a few hours to decant the wort and then added another 2 cups of water and 1/2 cup of DME that was at room temp... Stired for another 24 hours...

The liquid was beige and very creamy Everything sounds good so far
Next time be sure to actually refrigerate for a day or two between steps before decanting as this forces the yeast to drop to the bottom and form a cake. If you left this starter on the counter for a few hours and then decanted I assure you that you decanted a LOT of yeast left in suspension so you, in reality did not fully pitch the amount of yeast you thought in your beer

Also, when calculating starters go to either or www.mrmalty.com so you know how big a starter you need. In addition, get yourself a small digital scale so you can weigh out your DME, measuring by cups is far from exact. You basically want a 10:1 ratio of DME to water so, example: a 1 liter starter would use 100 grams of DME for a 1.030 wort.

Cheers on taking the step to make starters, you will be rewarded with great beer!

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 08-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #6
Pratzie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Edit: Didn't see the above poster regarding cold crashing before decanting.

Only other i'd suggest is yeastcalc.com for multi stage starter. They have everything right there for what u need for each step.

Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Old 08-05-2013, 10:49 PM   #7
EarlyAmateurZymurgist
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Your first step should be into 8 ounces of 1.020 wort. The yeast from this step should be pitched into a 32oz 1.040 starter. The yeast in the 32 oz starter should reduce your lag time to around 12 hours or less.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:02 PM   #8
jesseroberge
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman

Next time be sure to actually refrigerate for a day or two between steps before decanting as this forces the yeast to drop to the bottom and form a cake. If you left this starter on the counter for a few hours and then decanted I assure you that you decanted a LOT of yeast left in suspension so you, in reality did not fully pitch the amount of yeast you thought in your beer

Also, when calculating starters go to either or www.mrmalty.com so you know how big a starter you need. In addition, get yourself a small digital scale so you can weigh out your DME, measuring by cups is far from exact. You basically want a 10:1 ratio of DME to water so, example: a 1 liter starter would use 100 grams of DME for a 1.030 wort.

Cheers on taking the step to make starters, you will be rewarded with great beer!
Thanks for the input I still have to tweak my thecniq for starters

Can I do a single stage starter without habing to setp it up ?

If I step it up do I have to decant ?

Old 08-05-2013, 11:20 PM   #9
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 502 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseroberge

Thanks for the input I still have to tweak my thecniq for starters

Can I do a single stage starter without habing to setp it up ?

If I step it up do I have to decant ?
Yes you can do a single but the mentioned calculators will tell you what size you need

Yes, decanting is advised or you may not fit the volume you need for each step.

In addition, I suggest decanting all starters prior to pitch as I do not want any left over starter beer in my finished product but ymmv

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 08-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #10
CraptainWirtz
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseroberge

I did not oxegenate the yeast I just removed the stopper and poured all the creamy liquid...
Are you saying you stoppered your starter flask? Next time you might consider using a piece of sanitized foil instead of a stopper. This will allow CO2 to escape and atmospheric air (with oxygen!) to get into the flask. I bet you'd have a quicker start to fermentation and higher yeast cell counts this way.

Quick Reply