The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > First Swamp Cooler Ferment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2011, 05:17 AM   #1
ChadChaney
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default First Swamp Cooler Ferment

Just a quick and curious question, I am using a swamp cooler for the first time, REALLY basic Cream Ale kit for SWMBO, adding vanilla at the end of active fermentation, and figured this would be a great time to try a swamp cooler. I have the temp down from 71-72 (outside glass carboy sticky thermometer reading, I know it's probably higher) down to 62-63, OG was 1.044, pitched Nottingham dry yeast (re hydrated) and have a minimal krasuen. Usually I have to use a blow off, is this from the lower temps, or yeast, or OG, or combination of all of the above?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2011, 11:56 AM   #2
Clementine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Temps mainly, the lower temps slow the yeast down which means your fermentation will take longer. However that said it can also be yeast and OG effected, but you biggest change was temp.

The lower temps are a good thing, you will get less fusel alcohols and esters. When I used to make beer in College the summer brews always gave us the worst hangovers that is the fusel alcohol getting too high from hot brews. I always try to ferment at the bottom range of a yeast unless I'm specifically trying to get a flavor from the yeast.

At the end of your ferment cycle you can raise the temp a few degrees and this will encourage the yeast to eat all remaining sugar and be energetic in their clean up (post fermentation duties)

Clem

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply