Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > First starter worked a little too well, fermenting like crazy and pumping krausen!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2012, 12:47 AM   #1
SurlyBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default First starter worked a little too well, fermenting like crazy and pumping krausen!

My Surly Furious clone after 24 hours after pitching my first starter. Its bubbling 1-2 times per second! Never seen a more active fermentation. After pouring the starter in, it put me at 5.5 gallons in a 6.5 gallon carboy, which was a little more than I wanted. I didn't by any means over fill. I did lose about 1/4 gallon of wort and yeast though. There should be plenty of yeast left over to finish the job, right? Never lost so much, will it turn out as expected? Either way, my yeast starter definitely worked well! It was my first and will definitely not be the last. Enjoy the pic!

Here she is:

Primary: Chinook/Simcoe Black IPA, Scottish Wee Heavy

Bottled: Dunkelweizen, Caribou Slobber Ale, Smooth Nut Brown Ale, Surly Furious Clone, Amarillo Pale Ale, Falconers Flight IPA, Citra Pale Ale (Award Winner), Blue Moon Clone, Simcoe/Citra/Amarillo Pale Ale, English India Pale Ale, Cream ale, Liberty Cream ale, 2012 Harvest Ale, Dog Fish Head 60 Min, Cream of Three Crops

Kegged: KarmaCitra Pale Ale, Land Down Under Pale Ale (Motueka, Nelson Sauvin, & Aus Galaxy hops)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 01:39 AM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 428 Posts
Likes Given: 207

Rock on! Not sure how you lost yeast but yes everything will be fine!

Just remember you can always step up your starter and make more yeast to pitch

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 03-27-2012, 03:04 AM   #3
IanPC
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I just did my first starter 1000ml...that worked plenty for me. Had toss a blow off on it 22 hrs after I pitched. It worked well.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:17 AM   #4
zeekage
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You can also cold crash the starter for a day or two and decant most of the liquid off of it and pitch just the yeast slurry at the bottom. Just warm it up for a couple hours before pitching. I don't think it would have saved you in this case, but it's at least 1L or 2L that you won't get in your primary. I also always add a cup or two of the cooled wort to the starter vessel to help swirl up every last yeasty to pitch in.

That also doesnt look like any 6.5 gallon carboys that I've seen. Looks more like a 6. the 6.5s I've seen are shaped differently and the necks are different too (I can't see your neck obviously). That might explain why 5.5 gallons caused that much blowoff. Here's a pick with markings of my 6.5 gallon carboy. The 6.5 gallon mark is actually right at the shoulder

Old 03-27-2012, 03:24 AM   #5
Copbrew133
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Hey Zeekage, like the numbers on the carboy, stickers or paint? If stickers what kind & have you had any problems getting them wet?

Thirsty Mutt Brewing Co.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-b...-along-366645/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/bodi...-cheap-299101/

The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments posted in a courthouse is this: You cannot post "Thou Shalt Not Steal," "Thou Shalt
Not Commit Adultery," and "Thou Shall Not Lie" in a building full of lawyers, judges and politicians...It creates a hostile work environment.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:37 AM   #6
zeekage
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 2

They are these: http://brewhardware.com/vinyl-decals/71-carboy-calibration-numbers

I have gotten them wet before with no problems. I wouldn't soak them for days on end but they are stuck on there pretty good.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
IanPC
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Nifty

Old 03-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #8
SurlyBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekage View Post
You can also cold crash the starter for a day or two and decant most of the liquid off of it and pitch just the yeast slurry at the bottom. Just warm it up for a couple hours before pitching. I don't think it would have saved you in this case, but it's at least 1L or 2L that you won't get in your primary. I also always add a cup or two of the cooled wort to the starter vessel to help swirl up every last yeasty to pitch in.

That also doesnt look like any 6.5 gallon carboys that I've seen. Looks more like a 6. the 6.5s I've seen are shaped differently and the necks are different too (I can't see your neck obviously). That might explain why 5.5 gallons caused that much blowoff. Here's a pick with markings of my 6.5 gallon carboy. The 6.5 gallon mark is actually right at the shoulder
I stand corrected. It is infact a 6 gallon carboy. You are probably right about the extra .5 gallon of space not making a difference. I also wanted to do a 5.5 gallon batch since I am using a 6 gallon bucket for a secondary so I can dry hop with the 8.5 ounces of hops in mesh bags. I'm thinking about getting marbles to displace the extra head space in the bucket, for future batches. Next time I make a starter, I will definitely give myself enough time to cold crash. I was pressed for time with this last one.

Cheers!

Primary: Chinook/Simcoe Black IPA, Scottish Wee Heavy

Bottled: Dunkelweizen, Caribou Slobber Ale, Smooth Nut Brown Ale, Surly Furious Clone, Amarillo Pale Ale, Falconers Flight IPA, Citra Pale Ale (Award Winner), Blue Moon Clone, Simcoe/Citra/Amarillo Pale Ale, English India Pale Ale, Cream ale, Liberty Cream ale, 2012 Harvest Ale, Dog Fish Head 60 Min, Cream of Three Crops

Kegged: KarmaCitra Pale Ale, Land Down Under Pale Ale (Motueka, Nelson Sauvin, & Aus Galaxy hops)

Quick Reply