Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Fermentation & Yeast (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/)
-   -   First starter - KABOOM! (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/first-starter-kaboom-313668/)

MrSpiffy 03-16-2012 09:50 PM

First starter - KABOOM!
 
I just made my first starter today over lunch. I've read to shake the starter up frequently for aeration. So, I just shook the thing up and KABOOM! Foamy mess! It settled down, but I went from 2000mL down to just over 1600mL after it foamed over. Should I add some new, sterile wort tonight to boost the yeast count before pitching tomorrow?

MrSpiffy 03-17-2012 12:23 AM

Anyone..? http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/no...les/ponder.gif

Polboy 03-17-2012 01:11 AM

no it will be fine, let it ride, pitch tomorrow and drink great beer in 4 weeks

passedpawn 03-17-2012 01:17 AM

Stir plate will help you avoid that. Good luck with your beer.

D-MOTITAN 03-17-2012 02:17 AM

Shake it up once before u pitch. After that u just want to swirl it up every once in a while when in the room. A stir plate is the remedy.

MrSpiffy 03-17-2012 03:20 AM

Okay, so I didn't want to underpitch the yeast. So, here's what I did: I made some more starter wort to make up the difference, and added it to the starter. It should be sterilized, since it was boiled. And it was right around the same temp as the starter. Any thoughts? Good? Bad? Whatever?

I'm all for the RDWHAHB mantra, so I'm not really tweaking out about this. I just want to know SOP for if this happens again in the future.

I've been stirring it up using a sanitized racking cane, since swirling it seems to cause mostly foaming and not much to do with suspending the yeast. Every couple hours, I've started stirring it up.

MrSpiffy 03-17-2012 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by passedpawn (Post 3900642)
Stir plate will help you avoid that. Good luck with your beer.

I've spent enough on equipment and brewing already, just in the couple months since I started. I'm not sure SWMBO would be excited to hear that I spent another $100 on a stir plate... but that is on the wish list.

Edit: Found some sweet plans to make a stir plate. Looks easy as pie! Looks like my next project.

Stauffbier 03-17-2012 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSpiffy (Post 3901106)
Okay, so I didn't want to underpitch the yeast. So, here's what I did: I made some more starter wort to make up the difference, and added it to the starter. It should be sterilized, since it was boiled. And it was right around the same temp as the starter. Any thoughts? Good? Bad? Whatever?

I'm all for the RDWHAHB mantra, so I'm not really tweaking out about this. I just want to know SOP for if this happens again in the future.

I've been stirring it up using a sanitized racking cane, since swirling it seems to cause mostly foaming and not much to do with suspending the yeast. Every couple hours, I've started stirring it up.

It won't hurt anything by adding more wort. In the future you can try using Fermcap-S to help tame down the foam. In the mean time buy or build a stir-plate!

I built my stir plate for about $25.00

worksnorth 03-17-2012 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSpiffy (Post 3901115)
I've spent enough on equipment and brewing already, just in the couple months since I started. I'm not sure SWMBO would be excited to hear that I spent another $100 on a stir plate... but that is on the wish list.

Lol I totally understand, you're starter is going to be perfect.

MrSpiffy 03-17-2012 03:33 AM

Should've refreshed before editing. Sauffbier, I just noticed some DIY plans for stir plates. Looks like it's super cheap to make one. Just a box, fan, magnets, power supply, and potentiometer. I think I even have something already half-built to harvest some of this stuff from. Yay projects!! WOOHOO!


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:19 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.