This is a post of firsts for me...
1-this is my first post.
2-i'm trying my first clone--bells 2 hearted ale (DME)
3-decided i'd make my first starter: wyeast 1056
4-and booyah--my first airlock explosion!
5-and now my first blowoff tube
I went to visit family for dinner tonight, but I felt there might be a problem before I left, so I checked the krausen and saw that it was one inch from the airlock...just 14 hours after the pitch. Well, I put towels on the floor, a box around, and a few shirts over the carboy...just in case. That was the best idea I have had in a long time. While at dinner, it blew and made a decent mess.
When I got home, I cleaned the mess and replaced the airlock stopper with a blowoff tube. The starsan in my blowoff growler is foaming like crazy. This is the most co2 action i have ever seen.
Moral to my story here...make a starter=make a blowoff tube. I thought there was enough headroom. I guess that is what I get for thinking. ha.
Here are some pics after I attached my first blowoff tube (the rubber bands were there in case something like this happened):