Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > first starter, does this sound about right?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 06:38 PM   #11
ChadChaney
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I usually plan on at least 24 hrs, with a stirplate, with older yeast packs, give it some time to wake up. Just an idea, but whenever I am using an older yeast, I start the starter a week ahead to give me plenty of time to step up, when you step up the second time, it will take off like mad!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #12
Odin_Brews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Looks it like it sprang to life last night! Time to make my next recipe for this weekend as this yeast won't be ready for some time. THanks all for the comments

Old 11-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #13
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 59

That's great news! Just a little slow out of the gates.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
Woodland Brewing Research Blog Applied Science for Better Beer.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #14
BPal75
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

I haven't used to many liquid yeasts, I'm lazy and have mostly stuck with dry yeast. I'm thinking about branching out and try some of the liquid strains soon and I was curious about one thing. about how long does it take for a starter to finish? if I need to do a step up like you are talking about here, is 24 hours enough time and then should I chill and decant? My concern would be sticking the starter in the fridge too soon and not giving the yeast enough time. On the other hand, I'd rather not wait longer than necessary so as not to have to start more than a week before brew day.

Suggestions?

Old 11-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #15
RmikeVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPal75 View Post
I haven't used to many liquid yeasts, I'm lazy and have mostly stuck with dry yeast. I'm thinking about branching out and try some of the liquid strains soon and I was curious about one thing. about how long does it take for a starter to finish? if I need to do a step up like you are talking about here, is 24 hours enough time and then should I chill and decant? My concern would be sticking the starter in the fridge too soon and not giving the yeast enough time. On the other hand, I'd rather not wait longer than necessary so as not to have to start more than a week before brew day.

Suggestions?
24 for yeast to do their thing, 24 hours in fridge, chill decant, repeat.

For most ales a <= 2L starter no step up is sufficient.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #16
Odin_Brews
Recipes 

It would seem that 24 hours is the standard, but really the yeast starter is done when it's done. In this case you can see that my yeast was a bit older and took off somewhere between 36 and 48 hours. I think you have to observe and make sure that the yeast are eating/reproducing as they should, and this generally with a healthy fresh yeast packet takes 24 hours (not my experience thus far, Im 0 for 1 on that).

By the way BPal, this one is a step up multi stage starter only because of a)age (low viability) and b) that it's a hybrid beer, meaning more yeast cells needed.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:08 PM   #17
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 283 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 325

Just a quick question- are you using the ale, lager, or hybrid pitching rates on mr malty? There's a selector that lots of people miss.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 12-01-2012, 09:11 AM   #18
Odin_Brews
Recipes 

hybrid, I guess that's the right option for a cali common with wyeast 2112, I guess anyway.

Quick Reply