Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > First lager: Lagering on the yeast, filtering into kegs?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 532 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default First lager: Lagering on the yeast, filtering into kegs?

Hey folks, I'm about to do my first lager, and also interested in doing my first filtered beer (as I get annoyed by stirring up sediment every time I move a keg).

For various reasons, I'd prefer to avoid using kegs as brite tanks, so I want to essentially use this process:

1) Brew an Oktoberfest in the next couple weeks -- I brew 10 gallon batches, and ferment in a Sanke keg that I sterilize and completely seal (except for the blowoff), so I'm not concerned about permeability.
2) Ferment 2-3 weeks or so at 48-50 degrees.
3) Add gelatin, slowly drop the temp over ~2 weeks to 33 degrees, hold ~3-4 weeks.
4) Transfer under CO2 pressure through a 1 micron filter into serving kegs.

I typically don't worry much about autolysis, but even so I rarely have a need to leave beer on the yeast that long since I can usually bulk age my ales in corny kegs. But I understand lagers want to keep some yeast alive during that lagering phase for clean-up, so I don't want to filter prior to lagering, meaning I'd need a brite tank in the middle (and buying 2 more kegs).

Thoughts? Will this process have any serious flaws that I'm missing?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
cfonnes
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 5

How do you add the gelatin?

Old 07-20-2011, 09:10 PM   #3
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfonnes View Post
How do you add the gelatin?
Heat up ~8 oz of bottled water in the microwave, pour in a bit of gelatin, swirl until it fully dissolves. Open the top of the Sanke fermenter, pour it in, and reseal...

Old 07-20-2011, 09:13 PM   #4
tesilential
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I would do a diacetyl rest after primary. Let the temp get up to 70 and hold for a couple days.

Then drop it to lagering temps (I do it quickly) and lager.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:13 PM   #5
cfonnes
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have never used gelatin but have my first lager just finishing fermenting and getting ready to lager.

Do you think that just pouring the gelatin in will distribute it enough, or will it only affect a small area of the volume?

Old 07-20-2011, 09:32 PM   #6
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesilential View Post
I would do a diacetyl rest after primary. Let the temp get up to 70 and hold for a couple days.

Then drop it to lagering temps (I do it quickly) and lager.
I was planning on pitching cold (mid 40's), and had heard that diacetyl rest isn't so much of an issue when pitching cold. But either way, I can do the diacetyl rest if necessary.

The big question is whether I'll have any negative effects of keeping the beer on the yeast ~8 weeks.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:35 PM   #7
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfonnes View Post
I have never used gelatin but have my first lager just finishing fermenting and getting ready to lager.

Do you think that just pouring the gelatin in will distribute it enough, or will it only affect a small area of the volume?
I've only used it so far in ales. Gelatin seems to take a little effort to dissolve, so I'd consider dissolving it in water before going into the fermenter.

That said, I think with a lager, the gelatin is not as big of an issue as it is with an ale. The lagering process really clears the beer as it is. I typically use it with ales a few days before kegging (when I cold crash) to speed up the clearing process. But I don't see a downside to using the additional fining it gives me, and gelatin's cheap, so I might as well use it.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:41 PM   #8
Chad

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

To answer the actual question: Yes, you'll be fine leaving the beer on the yeast that long, especially at lager temperatures. I doubt you'll need to filter at that point, especially if you've shortened the dip tube on the keg, but if you have the equipment it couldn't hurt.

www.chadwrites.com

Old 07-21-2011, 02:25 PM   #9
paraordnance
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

why would you add gelatin soon after fermentation? Isn't the whole lagering process involves yeast that still in suspension? Gelatin will remove it. I would wait with gelatin untill last week of lagering process. And if you filter it really defeats the purpose of gelatin all together

Old 07-21-2011, 04:08 PM   #10
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Chad -- thanks.

paraordnance -- gelatin helps things drop, but gelatin (in my fairly extensive experience with it) doesn't clear *everything* perfectly. So I don't think gelatin will pull all the yeast out, only speed up the process some.

Quick Reply