Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > First Infection Ever...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2009, 12:56 PM   #1
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default First Infection Ever...

Well, it happened.

My Holiday Ale will be re-brewed. After a couple weeks in the primary it was finishing nicely, tasted great... all was well.

I dropped in 1oz of dry hops to finish her off.

A week later I return from work to a bubbling airlock... odd, but beer generally knows what it is doing. So I grab the refractometer... odd, the airlock was bubbling pretty steadily but the gravity is almost exactly the same as a week ago.

It was late, so I didnt have time to really investigate until this morning.

I wake up to take a small sample from the fermentor. The fermentation freezer smells... odd, vinegary... not the CO2 sting that I am accustomed to, but very sharp.

I pop open the fermentor, the top of the beer has small bubbles on it, like you would associate with a fermentation that is winding down.

I pull a small sample and smell it. I can almost not smell the cinnamon, ginger and allspice AT ALL over the scent. Again, quite sharp, vinegar like.

I taste it... very sour, sorta hot... I can taste some roasted malts, but none of the spices. It leaves a very bitter and sour aftertaste.

I have brewed this beer before, this is not normal...

A couple things that were different with this brew from the previous times I brewed it.

1. I re-used this yeast. I washed and saved this yeast from a previous match of beer.

2. I dry hopped this batch instead of a "flameout" addition. Though, there is a distinct possibility that there was grain dust on my scale when I weighed out the hops.

I have never had an infection from a dry hop, so I am placing blame on the yeast wash. I am not too heartbroken, for $12 I can re-brew this thing this week instead of making my IAPA... but I am concerned about what caused it in the first place.

The fermentor gets a good Oxi soak... then a thorough rinse, then a Star San rinse... after that it is filled with boiling hot wort. For these reasons I am ruling out the fermentor itself.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 545 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Since an infection of my own, one extra precaution I am now taking is to put a blow torch to the outer parts of the spigot on the boil kettle. I doubt it gets hot enough during the boil.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:06 PM   #3
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
Since an infection of my own, one extra precaution I am now taking is to put a blow torch to the outer parts of the spigot on the boil kettle. I doubt it gets hot enough during the boil.
Good idea, though my wort is nearly boiling hot for a long period after it leaves the kettle.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:57 PM   #4
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

I think I would tend to think it was the yeast too. How long ago did you wash it? When you washed it...was it the first batch from a new vial/smack-pack? Or was it a wash of brew made with washed yeast?

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 09-21-2009, 02:02 PM   #5
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
I think I would tend to think it was the yeast too. How long ago did you wash it? When you washed it...was it the first batch from a new vial/smack-pack? Or was it a wash of brew made with washed yeast?
I'm with SCA on this - I suspect the yeast. Can you give us any details about the strain, storage conditions, age, etc? There will always be some measure of contamination in a yeast cake; while this isn't always an issue, if the yeast health is compromised in some way, it can become one.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:39 PM   #6
The Pol
Recipes 

This was S-04...

It was removed from the fermentor 48 hours prior to re-pitching. It was washed and stored in StarSan soaked mason jars in the fridge for 24 hours.

This was the first re-use. I made a stir plate starter from the washed yeast, that took 24 hours.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:43 PM   #7
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Without actually seeing and tasting this beer, my diagnosis isn't grounded in anything but speculation; however, I will say that the few times that I have brewed any spiced ale, they always seem to go through that sour/bitter phase before hitting their prime.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:49 PM   #8
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyangler18 View Post
Without actually seeing and tasting this beer, my diagnosis isn't grounded in anything but speculation; however, I will say that the few times that I have brewed any spiced ale, they always seem to go through that sour/bitter phase before hitting their prime.
But, I have brewed this before, this is not the way it has been in the past.

Also, a week ago it tasted awesome... stopped bubbling and FG was steady.

Now, it is "fermenting" and tastes like vinegar, with no resemblance to what it was a week ago.

That to me, seems off.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:59 PM   #9
Richardwhittaker
Recipes 

I have had a couple batches turn to vinegar on me. the suspected culprit was fruit-flies the carry the Acetobacter bacteria which will turn your beer to malt vinegar.

Richard

Old 09-21-2009, 02:59 PM   #10
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am experiencing the same thing (possible first infection ever) with my pumpkin ale. I don't have bad taste or smell yet but, without thinking, I added dry spice to the top of the beer when I racked to secondary and that a spice is bubbling and has turned into a blob of snot floating around the top of the carboy and airlock bubbling has resumed.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Quick Reply