Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > First "Higher" Gravity AG - Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 05:56 AM   #1
Aaron1983
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default First "Higher" Gravity AG - Advice

I just whipped up a brown ale with an OG of 1.072. It's a 5 gallon batch and I used a single 11g package of dry Danstar Nottingham yeast. I measured my gravity after only two days and read 1.014. I am concerned that my fermentation was too quick and my yeast could have been too "stressed" and fermented a little too warm. I had some good blowoff activity on day 1, and it mellowed out to a consistent bubble at what I could only guess as 1 or 2 bubbles per second.

I have never really had issues with lower gravity beers in the past, I just have a few questions:

1. Should I have used two packages instead of one?

2. Is it normal to have a small amount of fruity flavors after two days in primary? If so, will these flavors mellow out (or go away) after a while?

3. I do not have a very reliable way of controlling my temps, I feel my ale fermented a little warm at about 74 degrees. This early into fermentation, should I keep my fermenter where it is? Or try and find a much cooler spot... my garage is about 68-70...

Thanks for the help,
Aaron

Primary#1: Celebration APA
Primary#2: Nothing
Secondary#1: Birthday Suit Bitter
Secondary#2: Nothing
Aging: Dustpan Dunkel
Coming Soon: TBD

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 06:27 AM   #2
dbsmith
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 24

1. Yes
2. Yes it is normal to smell and taste all kinds of strange flavors that soon. Some will fade, but others may stay, especially at that temperature and using just one packet.
3. Your garage would have been a much better place to ferment. It probably won't matter much now, but I would go ahead and move it (carefully).

Old 01-14-2013, 06:38 AM   #3
Aaron1983
Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsmith View Post
1. Yes
2. Yes it is normal to smell and taste all kinds of strange flavors that soon. Some will fade, but others may stay, especially at that temperature and using just one packet.
3. Your garage would have been a much better place to ferment. It probably won't matter much now, but I would go ahead and move it (carefully).
Thanks! I've been learning the details of nearly every process of AG brewing as I go. I'm working on improving my crush for mashing, I think I will pair that with learning more about yeast starters and cell quantity as well.

Thanks again!
Primary#1: Celebration APA
Primary#2: Nothing
Secondary#1: Birthday Suit Bitter
Secondary#2: Nothing
Aging: Dustpan Dunkel
Coming Soon: TBD

Old 01-14-2013, 06:41 AM   #4
dbsmith
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron1983 View Post
Thanks! I've been learning the details of nearly every process of AG brewing as I go. I'm working on improving my crush for mashing, I think I will pair that with learning more about yeast starters and cell quantity as well.

Thanks again!
Hope it turns out tasty. Give it lots of time!

Quick Reply