Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > First drain pour: 14oz of hops gone...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2009, 08:42 PM   #1
serum67
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First drain pour: 14oz of hops gone...

I don't get it. I have never had a a bad beer, or at least an undrinkable one. Had an overall normal brew day, but used so many hops that it jammed up my ball valve. Ended up pouring through an un-sanitized strainer (i know, rookie mistake :-P). Then I pitched some harvested yeast. When I transferred from primary to the clearing bucket, it smelled and tasted a little off. Wanting to be positive, I transferred anyway and dry hopped with 6oz. Fast forward to tasting it: rubber-band / belgian / sour aroma and burnt tire taste. Tears rolled down as I poured the entire 5 gallons down the drain...

And now: did another batch in my new SS conical. My OG was 15 brix and 4 days into ferment, it's @ 19 brix. WTF>!? I'm going to re-calibrate my refractometer tonight and take another reading with a hydrometer too...

Last edited by serum67; 10-15-2009 at 08:44 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2009, 08:46 PM   #2
middleofnowhere
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

how long was it from dry hop to tasting?

I know nothing!

Old 10-15-2009, 08:52 PM   #3
serum67
Recipes 

7 days with 3oz then 5 more days with 3oz. cold crashed, kegged, force carbed then served 24hrs later. I have done this with 6oz of hops before and it was fine. I'm pretty sure it was the yeast. Which is weird because I did another batch with the same harvest and it was fine. I'm pretty sure it was from either the unsanitized strainer or my plastic buckets. I don't know. I'm at a loss...

Last edited by serum67; 10-15-2009 at 09:05 PM.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:42 PM   #4
gubby
Recipes 

Did you have a newbie brewing with you? If so, they are very bad luck. That could've been the problem.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:45 PM   #5
serum67
Recipes 

How did you know?! I was teaching my friend All-Grain. Wow, it really must be that... :-)

Old 10-20-2009, 07:48 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 912 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Are you using the post ferment correction spreadsheet for your brix readings? Once it starts fermenting, you can't just read the value on the refractometer directly and expect it to be correct. The alcohol is messing with the measurement.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-20-2009, 07:48 PM   #7
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

It's not just newbies. I tend to fukc something up whenever ANYONE is there with me, even if they are a veteran brewer. I think my problem is that I tend to talk to that person instead of paying attention to what I am doing.

It's usually small stuff that I miss (forget to add irish moss, get hops added a few minutes later than intended, etc), but there is always SOMETHING that I do wrong.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:56 PM   #8
serum67
Recipes 

@BobbyM: Yeah, I am using this calculator from Eric in my Homebrew club:

http://onebeer.net/refractometer.shtml

It always seems to happen to me to. Especially this time b/c he was asking TONS of questions and I was going through everything with him. He is new and jumping straight into All-Grain so he had a ton of "Why are we doing it like this" questions. When my friends are over while i'm brewing I always either forget to add whirlfloc or take my OG etc...

Old 10-20-2009, 08:09 PM   #9
gubby
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by serum67 View Post
It always seems to happen to me to. Especially this time b/c he was asking TONS of questions and I was going through everything with him. He is new and jumping straight into All-Grain so he had a ton of "Why are we doing it like this" questions. When my friends are over while i'm brewing I always either forget to add whirlfloc or take my OG etc...
This guy sounds like a real tool. Let me guess, he's some engineering student that has to know how everything works. They are the worst.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:13 PM   #10
serum67
Recipes 

LOL. yes, it was. hmm I wonder how you knew GUBBY? Hey AJ, I thought you would be on here by now. It's all good, it was probably the harvested yeast anyway...

Quick Reply