Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > First attempt at washing yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2009, 08:06 PM   #1
Buffman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default First attempt at washing yeast

I've read the great sticky with pictures and all, but I have a few follow-ups. I'm looking to harvest the yeast from an APA, which started with Safale US-05. Are there any drawbacks to harvesting this type of yeast? Also, how long will harvested yeast keep (refrigerated, of course)? I don't plan to brew anything with an american ale yeast for a few batches.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2009, 08:40 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I just recently started harvesting yeast (about 4 months ago), so I haven't actually use anything I've harvested. I've been told by others that with proper sanitation/sterilization, your yeast can last over a year.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 08-16-2009, 10:04 PM   #3
squeekysheep
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

you can harvest it just fine. also it will keep for some time the longer you keep it for tho the slower it will start up. you should also make a starter for washed yeast.

with the cost of making a starter and the time involved in washing most people don't bother washing dry yeasts.

Battle Axe brewing

Old 08-16-2009, 11:55 PM   #4
Buffman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeekysheep View Post
with the cost of making a starter and the time involved in washing most people don't bother washing dry yeasts.
That's about what I was thinking with this one. Maybe I'll wash and save the next time I use liquid yeast. I wasn't all that thrilled with the slow fermentation I had with this batch anyway.

Quick Reply