Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Finishing high gravity brew

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2011, 12:01 AM   #1
HItransplant
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 1,030
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Finishing high gravity brew

I have a big imperial stout in primary right now that I think has finished high. Split ferment with WLP007 and a Belgian yeast harvested from a bottle of abyss.

OG was calculated as 1142 (calc from preboil and volume loss). Higher than I expected.

It's been 4 weeks and the Belgian yeast has dropped it's share to 1043, while the WLP007 has only made it to 1056. Dont think this is stalled as much as the yeast is just drunk..

Question is, can I get it to drop some more?

WLP099?

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars View Post
It's comfort foam. :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
It's a gentle recipe, so your first time will be enjoyable and memorable. :D
HItransplant is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 12:32 AM   #2
Calder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,433
Liked 243 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

You got 61 and 70% attenuation, and 11.5 and 13% abv.

I think yeast gave up because of the alcohol. I've never made a beer that big, so I would not be sure how to bring it down further. Probably best to use a cake or big active starter.

It also depends on how many fermentables you have left. If you used lactose, or a lot of specialty grains, you might not have much left.

__________________
Calder is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 12:47 AM   #3
HItransplant
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 1,030
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder
You got 61 and 70% attenuation, and 11.5 and 13% abv.

I think yeast gave up because of the alcohol. I've never made a beer that big, so I would not be sure how to bring it down further. Probably best to use a cake or big active starter.

It also depends on how many fermentables you have left. If you used lactose, or a lot of specialty grains, you might not have much left.
I agree, drunk yeast.. Tho not bad considering white labs says 10% is top end for 007.

I don't think a big cake or starter will do anything unless it's of the right yeast...and that's what I'm wondering... Which yeast?

I didnt use lactose or an overwhelming amount of specialty grains. But, I did put molasses in it, which I thought would lean it out a bit.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars View Post
It's comfort foam. :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
It's a gentle recipe, so your first time will be enjoyable and memorable. :D
HItransplant is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 01:06 AM   #4
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
beergolf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: collingswood, nj
Posts: 3,990
Liked 366 Times on 299 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Default

Quote:
YEAST STRAIN: 3711**|**French Saison

Back to Yeast Strain List

A very versatile strain that produces Saison or farmhouse style biers as well as other Belgian style beers that are highly aromatic (estery), peppery, spicy and citrusy. This strain enhances the use of spices and aroma hops, and is extremely attenuative but leaves an unexpected silky and rich mouthfeel. This strain can also be used to re-start stuck fermentations or in high gravity beers.
I have never tried this, but this yeast is a beast. I have used it sevel times. It chews through just about anything.. Believe me it is a hard working yeast.
__________________
beergolf is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 01:32 AM   #5
HItransplant
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 1,030
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergolf

I have never tried this, but this yeast is a beast. I have used it sevel times. It chews through just about anything.. Believe me it is a hard working yeast.
Im hoping to limit any additional flavor contributions... Will I get a lot of esters using this to finish?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars View Post
It's comfort foam. :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
It's a gentle recipe, so your first time will be enjoyable and memorable. :D
HItransplant is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2011, 12:19 AM   #6
HItransplant
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 1,030
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

anyone else have any suggestions?

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars View Post
It's comfort foam. :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
It's a gentle recipe, so your first time will be enjoyable and memorable. :D
HItransplant is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools