Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Final gravity matches beersmith , Is my beer done ?????

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2013, 05:50 AM   #1
smonteton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Default Final gravity matches beersmith , Is my beer done ?????

my final gravity on my hygrometer matches beersmiths projected final gravity . my beer has been fermenting for 2 weeks, is it finished?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 06:12 AM   #2
el_caro
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Maybe. However you should confirm by taking hydrometer readings over at least 2 days ( I always do readings 3 days apart)
If they are the same and that is what you were looking for then it is ready to go.

Ps I am sure you made a typo - but a HYGROMETER is used to measure humidity / moisture content. A HYDROMETER is used to measure specific gravity of liquids.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:18 AM   #3
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 484 Times on 386 Posts
Likes Given: 17

+1 you want to reach your target gravity AND be stable. What beersmith says is an estimate. It might still have a few points left to go. If it stays there for a few days, it's done. Then give it another week or two.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 04-22-2013, 06:29 AM   #4
pharaohpierre
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 24

+1, I would check it in a few days and see if it changes. Also, just because you hit your target F.G. doesn't mean that the yeast is done working. It still needs to clean up after itself so it does not leave any unwanted flavors. I like that you have kept it fermenting for 2 weeks. A good rule of thumb is to leave it fermenting for 3 weeks even though you hit your F.G. just to make sure everything is copasetic.

Quick Reply