Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Final Gravities ending at 1.020 !!??!!??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2009, 09:25 PM   #1
kegtoe
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Final Gravities ending at 1.020 !!??!!??

WHy would I have 2 consecutive batches ending at 1.020. Isn't that fairly hi? Why would they be the same?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2009, 09:28 PM   #2
HillbillyBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What was the recipe, what yeast did you use, what were fermentation temps, did you aerate before pitching, and did you use a starter?

1st John 3:18 "My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth."

Support a fellow homebrewer:
Handcrafted Stir Plates & Yeast Banks

Old 11-26-2009, 12:07 AM   #3
petep1980

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Did you do extract? Batches I do with an liquid extract percentage above 50% rarely get below 1.018 even with proper pitching rates.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:15 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

It's called the 1.020 curse, a lot of beers tend to peter out at 1.o2o. Sometimes all you need to do is rouse the yeast by gently swirling the fermenter once. And raising the temp a bit. Wrapping it in a blanket or a sleeping bag is usually enough.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-26-2009, 02:58 AM   #5
Guinness
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

lots of thoughts on it here

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/1-020-curse-63896/

Primary -- empty :(
Secondary -- Apple cider
In Keg -- Wheat Ale
Bottled -- Bennington Wedding Ale
On Deck -- Rogenbier

Old 11-26-2009, 03:59 AM   #6
kegtoe

Recipes 

Thanks Rev, et al. What about the (amylase???) enzyme some people are refering to??

Old 11-26-2009, 01:22 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegtoe View Post
Thanks Rev, et al. What about the (amylase???) enzyme some people are refering to??
If you use an enzyme just to try to go 5 or 10 points towards your fg, you will find out that it will China Syndrome and keep going and you will end up waaaay below your fg and with extremely dry beer. You can't really control the outcome with that stuff.

Anything from 1.020 and below is nearly finished. And as long as your fermentation is actually done at 1.020 you can bottle. And many fermerntations are done between 1.010 and 1.020, and often just warming and sworling willl get you the few points lower that you need.

I wouldn't mess with adding anything else.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-26-2009, 01:48 PM   #8
kegtoe

Recipes 

THanks. And to answer the questions, i have only done extracts, i have used both dry yeasts and smack packs with a starter. It seems to be more of a problem with the dry yeast i guess, looking through my notes. I do the rehydrating thing.

Our house (in Northern Minnesota) Varies from 63 during the day when we are at work to 68 at night when we get home to save energy. Are these constant temp swings bad for fermenting beer or is 5 degrees not enough to matter.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:49 PM   #9
petep1980

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I wouldn't add anything and just call it a lower alcohol beer. They still taste damn good at 1.020, they're just missing some booze.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:13 PM   #10
kunstler
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegtoe View Post
THanks. And to answer the questions, i have only done extracts, i have used both dry yeasts and smack packs with a starter. It seems to be more of a problem with the dry yeast i guess, looking through my notes. I do the rehydrating thing.

Our house (in Northern Minnesota) Varies from 63 during the day when we are at work to 68 at night when we get home to save energy. Are these constant temp swings bad for fermenting beer or is 5 degrees not enough to matter.
thats a good range, for some yeasts the 63 might be a little low for some (varies by style) but I wouldn't say it would be too low. But then again, thats ambient temp. My current batch is sticking in a 60* room and was fermenting at 66* I say give it a swirl and see if that helps it drop out - just don't raise the ambient temp too much because then you'll be getting some differnet flavors you probably didn't expect.

Quick Reply