Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > FG hate to beat a dead horse

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2011, 07:05 AM   #1
austin_hubbell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default FG hate to beat a dead horse

I have a dunkelweizen that I have some gravity questions about. It seems to have stopped fermenting and I am wondering what you guys think of the final gravity. The OG was 1.078 fermentation took off like a rocket and stayed there for about three days. It slowly tapered off and I have taken three consectutive gravity readings of 1.024. There are no signs of further fermention, the air lock is not going, no foam, very clear beer. My question is is that final gravity to high, the beer tastes good but 1.024 sounds a little high to me, any advice would be helpful.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2011, 08:16 AM   #2
Brewham
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Stir it up. Warm it up. What yeast did you use? What temp is it? How long has it been?

Old 06-14-2011, 08:51 AM   #3
austin_hubbell
Recipes 

safbrew t-58 , its been 10 days in primary

Old 06-14-2011, 12:59 PM   #4
3 Dog Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewham View Post
Stir it up. Warm it up. What yeast did you use? What temp is it? How long has it been?
Does it taste good? If so then don't worry about the rest. If not then I have a few questions.

What temperature did you pitch at? How much yeast did you pitch/Did you make a starter? What is the temperature now? Did you let it warm up over the 10 days in your fermenter? Are you controlling the fermentation temperature or letting it run free? If the latter, did the temperature overnight suddenly cool down causing your yeast to decide it is "nap time"?

As you may be able to tell, the answer to your question is "it depends". It depends on more things than you've written.

If you aren't driving the fermentation by controlling the fermentation temperature, pitching rate and yeast health, you can still make great beer. However, you can't be too particular about the specifics of finishing gravity, levels of phenols or other undesirable compounds that yeast produce. I'm sure there are plenty of folks on this forum ready to argue with me that they “don't do these things and their beer comes out fine”. That's great for them, and I would say that I have not been so lucky.

Unfortunately for me, I don't live in climate that is natively supportive of desirable fermentation, so if I want to make beer that is "good" I have to pay a great deal of attention to all of these things. Of course, those instructions were never in any kit.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
permo
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Dog Brew View Post
If you aren't driving the fermentation by controlling the fermentation temperature, pitching rate and yeast health, you can still make great beer. However, you can't be too particular about the specifics of finishing gravity, levels of phenols or other undesirable compounds that yeast produce.
Great advice.

I have become intensly obsessed with providing the best possible fermentation envirornment that I can. Yeast nutrient, O2, and approprietly sized yeast starters. Since I have been paying more attention to these details, my beers finish quicker, cleaner and they always attenuate fully.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:11 PM   #6
ThePearsonFam
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

you achieved 70% attenutation... Predicted attenuation for this yeast is 71-75%. Sounds like you're about there.

I wouldn't worry about it or mess with it. If you want to do something to it, gently swirl it inside the fermeneter to get the yeast into solution. Don't do anything that'll introduce O2 or any sort of bugs.

**EDIT**

You can also bring the temp up a few degrees in order to help clean up the fermentation. It might also help to drop the FG a point or two.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:18 PM   #7
austin_hubbell
Recipes 

I rehydarted the yeast and the fermentation is controlled by the weather where I live which is coastal and stays at 65-70 for this time of year. I guess I will give it some more time and hope it comes down a little.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:20 PM   #8
austin_hubbell
Recipes 

and Yes it does taste good.

Quick Reply