Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Festa kit fermentation question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2011, 11:55 PM   #1
NScooknet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Festa kit fermentation question

Hi all,

I'm only on my 3rd batch of beer, i've already drank the 1st Brew House IPA beer I brewed and bottled, it went off without a hitch, and have just bottled a batch of Brew House Pale Ale now.

While the Pale Ale is bottle conditioning, i just started a new batch of Festa West Coast IPA, but in the past 24 hours, there is no activity in the airlock at all, and just a very slight coating of tiny bubbles on the surface of the wort.

Should i worry?

The wort is a constant 68 degrees all day today, but yesterday, it was down around 64 degrees as we lost our power unfortunately.

The only reason I'm worried is because the brew house kits fermentation was fast and very violent, so i kinda expected the same with this Festa kit.

What do you think?

The only thing I realized that I did wrong was use the wrong measuring cup to hydrate the yeast in, it was 500ml instead of 250ml, will that make a difference? Will twice the water screw up the yeast?

I made sure the boiled water came down to around 80 degrees before adding the yeast packet to it, so I don't think I screwed that up or anything!

Maybe I'm just over reacting due to my inexperience, but all I have to go by is the other 2 kits I've made, so are Festa kits different in their fermentation?

Thanks!

Chris

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2011, 12:14 AM   #2
Ozzfest05
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The brewhouse kits use coopers yeast which is a quick starter and has a tendency to leave unwanted fruity flavors for some.

The festa brew kits come with yeast specifically for the style, just remember if you rehydrated the yeast at 80f you may have shocked the yeast slightly, the wort would have been around 68f so there will be lag time.

Lag time up to 3 days is expected sometimes 4, Krausen should develop.
Don't even take hydrometer reading until 2-3 week mark.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:28 AM   #3
NScooknet
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzfest05 View Post
The brewhouse kits use coopers yeast which is a quick starter and has a tendency to leave unwanted fruity flavors for some.

The festa brew kits come with yeast specifically for the style, just remember if you rehydrated the yeast at 80f you may have shocked the yeast slightly, the wort would have been around 68f so there will be lag time.

Lag time up to 3 days is expected sometimes 4, Krausen should develop.
Don't even take hydrometer reading until 2-3 week mark.
Thanks for the reply!

Well that's kinda a bummer, why don't the instructions warn you of that I wonder?

So what temp "should" I hydrate my yeast at??

This is the 1st time I've hydrated yeast before pitching, as the Brew House Coopers yeast is just sprinkled on the surface of the wort and not even stirred, seems a bit easier and less chance of a newbie like me to mess it up actually...lol.

I never realized yeast could be shocked like that, so thanks for that info.

So, after the fermentation finally starts, I should leave it in the primary for 2-3 weeks before checking the SG?

I plan not to rack to a secondary, as everyone i talk to is against doing that, so I'm gonna leave it sit on the yeast cake the full term of the fermentation just before bottling.

Glad to hear it's not all screwed up or anything!

Thanks again.

Chris

Old 11-02-2011, 12:48 AM   #4
Ozzfest05
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

No problem , I say not to take gravity because if your going to leave it 3 weeks then it doesn't matter if gravity is reached it's better to leave it 3 weeks regardless . Your beer will get better.

Now you can just sprinkle the yeast using festa brew kits, s04 s05 s33 etc...
However it is good to rehydrate for an hour before pitching.

The kits don't have great instructions but my suggestion is use the festa brew wort itself to hydrate. It contains sugars and it is the proper temp to activate yeast.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:54 AM   #5
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
The kits don't have great instructions but my suggestion is use the festa brew wort itself to hydrate. It contains sugars and it is the proper temp to activate yeast.

They don't contain good instructions, but it is better to just sprinkle on top of the wort than try to rehydrate using wort I would think.

Try it this way http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-5.html

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 11-02-2011, 01:17 AM   #6
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Always liked the Festa Brew kits. Try their double oatmeal stout--it's great!

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 11-02-2011, 01:20 AM   #7
Ozzfest05
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo

They don't contain good instructions, but it is better to just sprinkle on top of the wort than try to rehydrate using wort I would think.

Try it this way http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-5.html
I almost always just sprinkle dry yeast into wort, I have rehydrated with wort , warm water with dissolved dextrose all which work.

This is to answer the posters question , If you pitch yeast into 80f water then pitch into 68f wort it could shock yeast and increase lag times.
Wait and fermentation should start.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:58 AM   #8
NScooknet
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the info guys, very helpful.

I think something is actually just starting to happen now, as I noticed the little bell inside the airlock has risen up about half way to the lid, hopefully this means the yeast is waking up and shrugging off the beating I gave it mistakenly....lol.

It would be nice if it were bubbling the next time I looked.

Well, I know what to do next time if I buy a Festa kit, I have to drive an hour to New Minas to get them, only Brew House is available locally here in my little town, I'm thinking about picking up a Brew House Oktoberfest and starting it tomorrow now that I have an empty carboy.

Why the heck do they only come out with Oktoberfest when October is over? Duh....lol.

Chris

Old 11-02-2011, 04:09 AM   #9
Ozzfest05
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The brewhouse oktoberfest kit is really good. One suggestion pickup us-05 yeast.
Remember if ambient temp is 68f fermentation could reach 75+ it's important to keep it under 70.

I put fermenter in a rubbermaid container filled with water and rotate frozen water bottles, also have fan blowing on it for first 3-5 days.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:32 AM   #10
NScooknet
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
The brewhouse oktoberfest kit is really good. One suggestion pickup us-05 yeast.
Remember if ambient temp is 68f fermentation could reach 75+ it's important to keep it under 70.

I put fermenter in a rubbermaid container filled with water and rotate frozen water bottles, also have fan blowing on it for first 3-5 days.
You actually have to "cool" your fermenter during the primary fermentation?

Most people have them wrapped in blankets or have a heating pad wrapped around it, now I'm confused!

Right now, the ambient temp in the back room where my setup is is around 65 degrees, the thermometer on the carboy says 70 right now, and now there are finally bubbles in the airlock!

I'll drop the room temp down more to hopefully keep the yeast from overheating, what happens if it gets too warm? Off flavors?

Chris

Quick Reply