Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Fermometer on a Sanke

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2010, 06:13 PM   #1
Photopilot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default Fermometer on a Sanke

I have my first 10 gallon batch fermenting in a sanke right now. I have heard the larger batch may have more exothermal action. I am using WWL001 which went crazy in the stir plate so I know it is an aggressive yeast. I placed it in a colder room than I normally ferment in but had activity within 6 hours. I would like to be able to know a rough idea of the temp so i can move it to warmer as fermentation settles down.

The wort is a ways down from the top so a wine thief is the only way to get a sample. How would a fermometer work on the outside of a sanke? Any other suggestions for getting a temp of the wort. I am thinking thermowell but may try the pressurized carbonation first, so waiting on the thermowell for now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Fermometer should work fine. I have one of the side of my corny keg fermenter and it is usually within a degree of inside wort temps. The only time it varies a bit is when I am cooling down inside the fermentation chamber and the wort inside has not caught up yet.

Thermowell with temp probe helps prove all this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply