Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Fermention stopped early?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
Mike71884
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermention stopped early?

First hombebrew and scratching my head over fermenting. I used a midwest kit cream ale with wyeast American ale yeast. Followed directions on kit as well as referencing John palmers how to brew. Pitched yeast at 70 degrees and within 24 hrs it was rolling away and bubbled like crazy for about 4 days. It has been kept in my den with a consistent temp of 66. been in primary 16 days. Problem is my hydrometer reading has been 1.020 for 3 days in a row. Kit instructions stated FG should be within 1.010-1.012. All the krausen has settled and no real signs of active fermenting. Is she done or has it stalled out? I know the consistency of hydrometer says it is but just wondering why he readings are so high. Any comments much appreciated. Beer taste pretty good bye the way

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 07:01 PM   #2
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike71884 View Post
First hombebrew and scratching my head over fermenting. I used a midwest kit cream ale with wyeast American ale yeast. Followed directions on kit as well as referencing John palmers how to brew. Pitched yeast at 70 degrees and within 24 hrs it was rolling away and bubbled like crazy for about 4 days. It has been kept in my den with a consistent temp of 66. been in primary 16 days. Problem is my hydrometer reading has been 1.020 for 3 days in a row. Kit instructions stated FG should be within 1.010-1.012. All the krausen has settled and no real signs of active fermenting. Is she done or has it stalled out? I know the consistency of hydrometer says it is but just wondering why he readings are so high. Any comments much appreciated. Beer taste pretty good bye the way
Search for 1.020 curse on here. Pretty common with extract batches. Probably has to do with caramelization of sugars in the wort during boiling that renders them unfermentable. Just make sure it is stable FG before bottling.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 01-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #3
Mike71884
Recipes 

Yeah after doing some reading I have learned about he 1.020 curse! Thanks for your reply I think I'll give it another couple days and if reading still the same go ahead and put it in some bottles

Quick Reply