Fermenting with Wyeast 2112 Question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjjohns5

Reaction score
I was making an Apple Steam beer recipe to brew next but in Florida, with no equipment to regulate the temperature that well (Other than a big bin in which I fill with water and a couple of jugs of frozen water to cill the fermentator - I've gotten down to 57, but it's a pain in the ass), would it make that much sense to brew it yet? I've read that some people have brewed at temperatures up to 68 with this yeast strand but the website and other brewers have said that unless you can get the temp below 65, it wont work well.

Any ideas or opinions!? Thanks!

2112 aka "The Rush Yeast" is commonly used to make Cali Steam Beer. While it is technically a lager yeast you ferment at ale temps. My basement is a constant 64' so that is what I ferment my ales and steam beer at. The Wyeast strain guide indicates that 68' is the upper limit for this yeast so you want to keep it at 68" < but you don't have to keep it at the low end of the scale. I am drinking a Cali Common that I made a few months back and like any lager or psudeo lager it only gets better with time. Montanaandy

I have not used this yeast in Florida yet. I used it when I lived in Ohio, but I had an out building with gas heat, so I could brew in the winter time. Kept it in the high 50's when fermenting with 2112. It is a wonderful yeast, BTW!!

I understand the epic "Rush" qualities of this yeast, so I'm sure it's fantastic :). I think I'll go ahead and try and use it, cross my fingers, and do everything I can to keep the temperature under 65. I'm sure it'll be fine. When I finish making the recipe I'll post it for critiques! Thanks!

Back