Fermenting twice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renshaw

Reaction score
I was wondering if this is advised,

Finishing fermentation then adding more sugar and letting the rest of the yeast do it thing again?? or would i need to add a more yeast?

(Basically I've worked out i didn't add enough sugar in the first place.

And doing this, Would it effect the overall taste, flavours of the drink??

Thanks.
Renshaw

Never tried it but what you're suggesting is not much different than bottle conditioning/carbing. Just not sure what the end result would be. Unless it's WAY off I'd just leave it as is & chalk it up to experience. Cheers!!!

I use a similar practice for a lot of my larger beers (1.080+); basically, I like to give the yeast a good 4-7 days to process the complex sugars extracted from the grains, and then supplement with whatever additional (simple) sugars I plan on adding afterwards. I.e., my most recent IIPA had a target OG of 1.096; I hit 1.086 after the boil, but planned to add 1lb dextrose as well. I gave the yeast 4 days to chew up the main portion of the wort, then added the dextrose (boiled in some water, of course).

As to whether it'd impact the overall taste or flavors, that would depend on the volume of sugar you're adding and the OG of the beer in question (prior to sugar additions). Larger brews such as the one I listed above can tolerate a bit of simple sugar addition due to the small percentage of fermentables represented by the sugars themselves. I wouldn't recommend the same practice in a beer with an OG of 1.040 or so, because the ratio would be significantly higher.

Depends on how far along your fermentation is.

For some Belgians and Saisons, I let the fermentation go on for several days until the krausen starts to recede then add the sugar. Works great.

Latest posts

Back