New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > fermenting sugar water only !!!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012, 01:03 AM   #1
mrjones1975
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default fermenting sugar water only !!!

Hi all i am new to brewing i have just completed my first batch of wine which has went with no problems i now want to try to brew something bit different. My question is what would happen or what would i end up with if i fermented just corn sugar dissolved in water with wine yeast ?

Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2012, 01:12 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3446

You'd be making hooch, which a lot of folks would accuse you of being an underaged person, fermenting under your bed. Or making prison hooch.

You're doing basically a sugar wash, which unless you distill it (which is illegal) it will taste nasty, and be a waste of time and money...If you're already making wine, why do you want to waste your time with this crap? There are plenty of other fermentable beverages that will at least taste better.

Heck at least get a bag of Jolly ranchers (any flavor) and melt them in a double boiler, and add that to your sugar wash...at least then you'll be making a rough approximation of schnapps.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

People Like This 
Old 08-26-2012, 01:42 AM   #3
TrubDog
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts

+1 to what Revy said!

Old 08-26-2012, 02:16 AM   #4
mrjones1975
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 34

ok i think i will leave that then and stick with the wine it is really nice so how would i go about distilling i would really like to make something a bit stronger i have been looking at recipes for moonshine and looks like its a perfect place to start i do not have a slow cooker or a copper pipe is there anything i could use in its place ?

Old 08-26-2012, 02:18 AM   #5
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.

Recipes 

Liked 574 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 52

You'd be a felon. We don't discuss that here.

People Like This 
Closed Thread

Quick Reply