Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Fermenting Siason temp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #11
Demus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 6

+1 to starting low and ramping up the temperature as fermenting slows. I'd just use whatever temp you usually chill to, say the mid to high 60's. The initial ferment will probably push it up by 5 or 10 degrees and when it slows you can use one of the many techniques suggested to raise it a few more degrees. It will ferment either way, but this profile will avoid fusel alcohol which is produced early in the process at warmer temperatures. It's later in the ferment that you want that "Belgian" flavor to come out. Look for a gradual rise over about a 10 day period. I've brewed many a Saison and this profile has made some awesome ones with many different strains...
Let us know how it turns out... dehydrated Belgian yeast, brewing gets better every day!!!!!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 11:46 PM   #12
tnsen
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thankx Demus...I may give that one a try..has anybody tried the heating pad under the ale pail?..or an electric blanket wrapped around the bucket? these are just a few thoughts I am having..keep in mind I am in Michigan my home barley gets 70...thankx againe...Tom

Old 01-09-2013, 12:03 AM   #13
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 314 Times on 274 Posts
Likes Given: 148

I've only ever used wyeast 3726 farmhouse ale yeast - a typical saison strain. I've used it for a low and high gravity brew. Both times I've pitched at about 75F and started slowly heating up the fermenter. The first time with a room heater in a small bathroom (very inefficient), the second time with a heating blanket wrapped around the carboy AND the room heater in the small bathroom (much more efficient). Both times I've made it to 90F within 24 hours of pitching and MAINTAINED the 90+F for the FULL ferment (only 4 days). Once you get to 90F, with full fermentation going, and a blanket wrapped around your fermenter it's pretty easy to maintain the temp by using the blanket or space heater as needed. I've been quite astounded by the outcome of the brews and would have never thought you'd end up with something drinkable using those kinds of temperatures. I would suggest following the recommended temperature range suggested by the yeast maker and consider that you'll get more of that typical saison funk the higher you stay in their recommended range.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:26 AM   #14
Brewtah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Wyeast 3711 is bomber. Start at 70F ramp up to about 85F. Spice and everything nice with a Belgium. I have used a heating pad wrapped around fermenter. Make sure you have blow-off. Love this Saison yeast.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:05 AM   #15
thadass
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I have two brews I'm doing this coming weekend... 3711 is sitting in the fridge. This yeast makes me anxious to brew. It's like a caged animal waiting to tear some wort apart, hardcore, to the bones.

One is based on Norther Brewer's De Belge Farmhouse IPA and the other is the How Rye am I? rye saison recipe here on HBT. Gonna let the 3711 chew up the IPA at 75-80 for 10 days or so, and then let it mellow (for this yeast at least) at 71ish for another 3 weeks for the rye.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:13 AM   #16
Demus
Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 6

3711 is a beast! I've had it attenuate well over 90%, so if you're an all-grain brewer don't be afraid to mash warm to preserve some malty chew. I'd also avoid any sugar additions that are common in Belgian recipes, this monster just doesn't need any help making a nice funky, dry saison!!

Old 01-09-2013, 06:36 AM   #17
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 128

I use a heating pad under my carboy, with insulation over/around it if needed.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #18
GarageDweller
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 268

Real men ferment their saisons with 3724 and have 0 problems. haha! the how rye i am recipe is superb with 3724. OP you have been given some sound advice. start it out mid to low 60's and ramp it up with your electric blanket. you will be fine.

SMALL AXE BREWING
"If you are a big tree, we are a small axe, ready to cut you down."-Bob Marley

Old 01-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #19
tnsen
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Good advice it is, and I will take it, I am thinking about putting my bucket in my utility tub, fill with water around it, aquarium heater, with a small aquarium water pump to circulate the water around it,with some form of cover.."How Rye I Am"....hmmmm that sounds great, but I couldent find a recipie (5 gal) anywhere in the recipie database...where can I get one?...and thankx ......Tom

Old 01-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #20
thadass
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 60

All-Grain - How Rye I Am (Rye Saison) - 2011 - 1st Place Best of Show - HBT Comp

you'll need to do some conversions to size it down to 5 gallons. I'm doing it at 4.25 since all I have open to ferment in is a 5gal carboy right now.

It's gonna be so good! Hope your saison is awesome, too!

Quick Reply