Come enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Fermenting S-04 Cleanly

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2012, 06:50 AM   #31
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1715 Times on 1603 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanThomas
Also, I've always wondered whether the temperature range listed by Fermentis are temperatures in the environment (room) or within the fermenter during full activity.
Since it appears nobody's answered you, I will. Their temperature range actually (technically) refers to neither one of what you said, but it's much closer to the latter. The temperatures they, and every other yeast company refers to, is the temperature of the wort/beer in the fermentor at ANY GIVEN TIME. A small but important difference. It's certainly what the fermentor should be at peak activity, but it's also what it should be at when it's just getting started and/or winding down, when their isn't quite so much activity.

So how do you know what the room temperature should be to make sure the fermentor temperature is ideal? You can't. In fact, there is no such temperature in the first place.

That should highlight the major disadvantage of trying to indirectly achieve a certain ferm temp by merely controlling the room temp. An ideal fermentation system uses temperature feedback from the fermentor itself to control the ferm temp DIRECTLY.

Whether this is done automatically with a temperature controller, or manually with a swamp cooler and bottles of ice, directly controlling ferm temps is a significant step forward for ANY brewer and will doubtlessly result in better and more consistent beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 01:54 PM   #32
JordanThomas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessRockwell View Post
And I can talk all the s--- I want, but I drank every last one of mine
Hahaha, perfect. I personally loved one of the more estery IPA's that Founders had on tap about 2 months ago. If it has any of those qualities, I'd be proud, even if it turns others off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
Since it appears nobody's answered you, I will. Their temperature range actually (technically) refers to neither one of what you said, but it's much closer to the latter. The temperatures they, and every other yeast company refers to, is the temperature of the wort/beer in the fermentor at ANY GIVEN TIME. A small but important difference. It's certainly what the fermentor should be at peak activity, but it's also what it should be at when it's just getting started and/or winding down, when their isn't quite so much activity.

So how do you know what the room temperature should be to make sure the fermentor temperature is ideal? You can't. In fact, there is no such temperature in the first place.

That should highlight the major disadvantage of trying to indirectly achieve a certain ferm temp by merely controlling the room temp. An ideal fermentation system uses temperature feedback from the fermentor itself to control the ferm temp DIRECTLY.

Whether this is done automatically with a temperature controller, or manually with a swamp cooler and bottles of ice, directly controlling ferm temps is a significant step forward for ANY brewer and will doubtlessly result in better and more consistent beer.
I appreciate the answer. This makes sense, so I guess next beer I'm just going to use a swamp cooler the whole time. I've got it going now and my temps are lower than they were, so now I just play the waiting game. Tick-tock.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply