Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Fermenting S-04 Cleanly

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2012, 02:50 PM   #11
JordanThomas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Ha- that's really not the case for the other dozens of yeast strains. But both nottingham and S04 get weird estery, not pleasant estery, at a pretty low temperature. I think nottingham is positively foul above 72 degrees, while I like Wyeast 1335, 1098, and 1318 even at 75 degrees.

S04 gets a weird flavor above 70, but not as bad as nottingham. But fermented cool (59 even, for nottingham), both are clean and leave a clear beer behind.
This is concerning... I chose 04 for my ESB because the recipe called for it and it made sense. Plus, the Fermentis info states that this is okay to about 75F. My basement is at about 70, and the fermentation brings that up to about 74-75. Hope it's okay...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #12
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanThomas View Post
Hope it's okay...
Yes, it should be just okay. Probably not good or great, but okay.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #13
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytanium View Post
yes, it should be just okay. Probably not good or great, but okay.
grrr

My Nut Brown (not completely done clarifying, but completely done fermenting) tastes amazing with s-05 fermented at the same temperatures. The Fermentis info shows both of these yeasts working well at the same temperatures. Also, I've always wondered whether the temperature range listed by Fermentis are temperatures in the environment (room) or within the fermenter during full activity.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:08 PM   #14
Sentinel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I always have issues with my S-04 flocculating. It takes a month + to do so and is still not as clear as the same batch that was split and fermented with us-05 after the first week and a half in the primary (from which all yeast has settled out of suspension) and I ferment low enough.. around 16degC

Old 08-21-2012, 10:50 PM   #15
jsguitar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 499

I'm using it for the first time right now. I'm using a swamp cooler and have kept it at 64-66 for first two days and today it got up to 68 for a little while and I knocked it back down. I'm thinking that probably wouldn't effect it too much at this point. The krausen's falling so I'm guessing I got through the most critical part. Reading these posts got me kind of nervous about it lol.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:07 PM   #16
KISS Brew
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I ended up using the S-04 in my Blonde Ale, which I bottled last night. The hydrometer sample tasted clean, but I'll definitely be updating when I have a cold and carbonated final product to judge.

Bottled:
Hoptoberfest IPA, Oktoberfest Ale, Blonde Ale, Scottish Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Edwort's Apfelwein, Janet's Brown Ale, Irish Red Ale, Strawberry Wheat, ESB, Belgian Pale Ale

KISS Brew Homebrewing Blog

Most recent post: Beyond the Pale Ale Recipe

Old 08-21-2012, 11:27 PM   #17
purplehaze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default s04/s05

Not sure if this helps but lately I have been brewing 10 gal batches and splitting them, half with s04 and half with s05.

The s04 batches have been a bit sweeter with lots more hop flavor. Although the hop flavor starts to disappear after about a month.

The s05 batches are drier with more hop bitterness evident.

As time passes the more similar they taste.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:30 PM   #18
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Well I took a gravity reading because the krausen started to fall and the airlock was showing slowed activity. 1.013 right now. Not bad. Only problem is, it isn't the best taste. But then again, it has only fermented for 48 hours. I'll hold off judgement until about 2 weeks from now =P

Old 08-21-2012, 11:38 PM   #19
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 10

With all this talk of English yeast, I thought I would mention that many, if not most, English breweries actually ferment their beer quite cool. Like 60-62F, with a maximum temp of no more than 67-69F!

I don't know where American homebrewers get the idea that English yeasts make better beer at 70F, but that's not really the case at all. And if you look at pitching temps, most are around 58F... and that goes back to the late 1800's. Just something to think about.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:45 PM   #20
afr0byte
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierhaus15 View Post
With all this talk of English yeast, I thought I would mention that many, if not most, English breweries actually ferment their beer quite cool. Like 60-62F, with a maximum temp of no more than 67-69F!

I don't know where American homebrewers get the idea that English yeasts make better beer at 70F, but that's not really the case at all. And if you look at pitching temps, most are around 58F... and that goes back to the late 1800's. Just something to think about.
You may be right, but where did you get this info? (Keep in mind, I'm not saying one should ferment at 70.)

Quick Reply